1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

losing inverter coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Spooled, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i topped it off about a month ago i have had this car about 3 momth and it was low when i got it , its no inbetween full and low

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the perfect level.

3. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    fine but its going down...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any leakage around the pump?

5. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    no visible leaking

6. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Inverter radiator damaged by a stone?
    I believe it is visible through upper grill openings.

7. Devon_C

Devon_C New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

I am actually experiencing the same problem. Last week my "Check Hybrid System" light came on, on my way home from work. I was able to drive the 55 miles home on the gas engine only (noticeable loss of power). Upon inspection I found the inverter coolant reservoir was almost empty. I hadn't noticed any leaks or pools of pink liquid while parked. When I topped up the reservoir the location of the leak seemed to be from the upper right quadrant of the radiator (as facing the vehicle). The reservoir drains quickly and will empty again (below outtake hoses) in a matter of a few minutes. So I'm fairly reluctant to drive the vehicle. This vehicle only has 51,000 miles on it so I'm pretty unhappy to discover such a major leak at this point.

I can't seem to find a hose that is leaking, so I am wondering if the radiator somehow was cracked. My engine coolant isn't leaking at all. I didn't take out the inverter or the radiator cover to thoroughly check all hoses/gaskets. I'm taking it the dealer this week.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the potential leak source/cause and if others have experienced this at such low mileage.

Thanks
    Devon

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any liquid on the ground?

9. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The inverter radiator is a completely separate unit from the engine radiator, they both happen to be at the front of the car.

Perhaps someone can verify location but I was of the understanding that the inverter radiator is upper front prone to stone/ road debris damage through the upper grill openings.

Link to a thread of someone with a similar problem: Inverter radiator leaking/replacement | PriusChat

10. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should be easy for a tech to find this...gotta put fluid in it and get it up on the rack. If it's as bad as you say, it will be immediately evident. I wouldn't drive it until this is resolved. Get it towed to the dealer...should still be under warranty, right?

11. Devon_C

Devon_C New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yup, as I feared this was a damaged inverter radiator cause by a rock. Since I've only had the vehicle 7 months, I'm not especially excited about forking out $900 for a new radiator. Now I'm looking at aftermarket grill to install, for around $250 (not including my time to install it). I may go back to Subarus. I can't deal with a $900 radiator replacement every time a rock hits the car.

12. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think how much money you save in fuel costs though to fund those radiator replacements. But seriously, given the many posts about blocking radiators to improve fuel efficiency, I think you're spot-on with looking at an aftermarket grill. I think I'll look into this for mine. I've got a Tacoma that is prone to radiator rock damage. I plan to replace the stock grill with a mesh one.

EDIT: I just remembered that on TacomaWorld, someone posted about using honeycomb ABS mesh from Lowes (gutter guard material) to protect his radiator. Not as elegant as a $250 billet mesh replacement grill, but apparently effective.

#12 Yakoma, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  13. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four