1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low 12-Volt Battery Apply Parking Brake Securely...

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Insighter, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Lucifer & @padroo I really believe that is not correct. I just looked through the Prime's owner's manual and could find nothing stating the Prime charges the 12-volt battery while the Prime is plugged in and charging the traction battery. The closest thing I found is this language from page 88 of the manual:

"When the vehicle is left with the charging cable connected, the electricity consumption amount of the 12-volt battery increases due to controls, such as the system checking, operating. When the charging cable is not needed, immediately remove it from the vehicle."

If anything, that makes it sound like plugging in to charge the traction battery only puts a higher load on the 12-volt battery.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the confusion maybe 'plugged in' and 'charging'. as elektroingineur posted in #17, the 12v charges with the hybrid battery.
    but as in the pip, once the hybrid battery finishes charging, the 12v no longer charges, no matter how long you leave the cable plugged in.
    and as he also stated, we don't know the charging rate, but likely enough to counteract normal expected drain plus some.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi bisco: I don't think there is anything anywhere in the manual or elsewhere that establishes that the Prime charges the 12-volt battery while it is charging (even while it is plugged in and actually in the process of charging the traction battery). I'm sure I read some posts somewhere in these forums that stated prior PIP Prius models do charge their 12-volt battery while plugged in, but the Prime does not. If the Prime did charge the 12-volt battery while plugged in, I'm pretty sure that fact would've been mentioned in the language I quoted from the Prius owner's manual (above). If I'm wrong about this, I'd love to know for sure.

bisco likes this.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just found the link and I agree, that’s where I picked up that info

Finally, Video of Prime Battery Disassembly | PriusChat

5. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    @Lucifer @padroo @bisco @Mendel Leisk @Elektroingenieur
    Well, I have to admit that I was wrong. It occurred to me that there is a simple way to test this. I drove my about 8 miles off the fully-charged electric the range of my car, got home, opened the hood, and left my car for about 30 minutes.

Then I tested my 12v battery and it was at a steady 12.61v. Next, I plugged in my Prime. The voltage (as read by my BA7 which was still connected to my 12v battery) instantly started dropping, but within about 20 seconds went up to a steady 13.5v. After about 5-10 minutes, that dropped to 12.66v. After an hour, it was up to 12.72v. For the voltage reading of the 12v battery to go up from its original 12.61v at all, the Prime has to be charging the 12v battery while the Prime is plugged in and charging the traction battery. My guess is that it goes up to 13.5 and stays there until the 12v battery is fully charged and then drops down to just over 12.6v to maintain it.

Due to the language I quoted above from the Prime owner's manual (that warned against leaving the Prime plugged in after the traction battery is finished charging), I decided to leave my Prime plugged in and see what happens to the 12v battery's voltage reading when the traction battery finishes charging (but is left plugged in, against the advice of the owner's manual). When it finished charging, the 12v battery's readout went from 12.72v to 12.58v. When I unplugged my Prius about 20 minutes later, the voltage at my 12v battery dropped to 12.5 where it stayed for several minutes and then went to 12.58 after about another 15 minutes. I suspect it will return to the 12.6 at some point without further charging or driving.

I know the more interesting measure would be how many milliamps leaving the Prime plugged in after it's done charging the traction battery adds to its parasitic draw, but you'd have to have a multimeter connected inline the whole time for that, and that's not something I really want to do. The owner's manual advice to unplug the Prime when its done charging is good advice. I can do that fairly easily at home because I have an attached garage (and because the Advanced emails me when it is done charging, though I don't know if other Primes do). But I'm betting that would be a lot more of a hassle for people who don't have garages or park in a garage under a large apartment building.

This does bring up one thing. Would the rest of you agree with the following statement: Do not charge your 12-volt battery with a battery charger while your Prime is plugged in and charging. Doing so would mean that your 12v battery charger is trying to charge your 12v battery at the same time your Prius is trying to charge it.

Ultimately, it seems the problem I began this thread about (my 12v battery being too weak to start my Prime the other day) was caused by a combination of factors. First, I had left a Carista plugged into my OBD2 port (which stays on when the car is off). That took my parasitic draw from 50-60 milliamps to 90-100 milliamps. Second, I had charged my Prime from empty the night before and then left it plugged in for about 14 hours (during which 14 hours the parasitic draw was increased further by leaving the Prime plugged in after it was done charging, a problem the Prime owner's manual explicitly warns of). Third, I have been driving my Prime fairly short distances, often only around 20 miles or less a day, often at lower speeds, always in EV mode (which I suspect doesn't charge the 12v battery at as high voltage).

#45 Insighter, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    benagi and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    eureka!:p

Insighter likes this.
  7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It makes sense to me, you would be trying to charge the battery with two battery chargers.

Insighter likes this.
  8. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Love Eric, he's great! Very very informative.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. cleverchimp

cleverchimp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    got the same problem, I havent driving my prime for about a month or so and this came on. Charge the battery with battery tender for about 7-8 hours and it at 80% capacity...this is a brand new car, something is draining the battery. The interesting part is after charging it, noticed the car battery percentage is down from 99% to 66%...what gives? This doesnt seems to be normal.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Every car imposes a slight but constant drain on the 12 volt battery.

And that's definitely enough time for that drain to become significant.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there have been quite a few reports of defective gen 4 batteries.

i believe there is a way to turn off sks on your fob. a good way to reduce 12v drain when your letting the car sit idle for awhile.

now that you have drained the 12v, pay attention to it. it can sometimes cause long term health issues.

the loss of your 12v charge messed up the battery display. ignore it and keep an eye on it.

did you leave the hybrid battery full for a month?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    more recent evidence concludes that prime DOES NOT charge the 12v while charging the hybrid battery, iirc.

13. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Perhaps it just doesn’t charge it much. There’s definitely a charger for the auxiliary battery; see post #17.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, there is a lot of confusion over this. why would toyota reduce the amount of charge from the pip, it works so well in mine, i can't believe it uses that much electricity.

sounds like a design error. iirc, some have measured their 12v before and during charging, with no change. could it be that a healthy battery gets no charge at all?

do you know if the charger is mentioned anywhere in the owners manual, like pip? that would be a very helpful referral.

#54 bisco, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I missed this thread when first came up. What an informative thread it is! This thread should be on sticky.

Although I have not had any problem with my PRIME's 12v battery yet, I am now well informed of a potential problem it may encounter in future. BTW, while I was at this topic, I thought about upgrading my ancient battery charger. The one I have is probably >30 years old (Schumacher SE-1010 10 Amp Manual Battery Charger). The last time I pulled off the shelf and used it about a year ago, it worked fine on HCH's dead 12v battery, but I'm hesitant to connect it to my PRIME if occasion requires it in future.

From reading this thread, I am thinking of buying CTEK MUS 4.3 charger. My question, what are the differences between those models? All are CTEK MUS 4.3 charger, but different model numbers at slightly different prices.
    CTEK charger.png

#55 Salamander_King, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The one on the left is the basic charger. That's the one I have, and it seems to work well. The one in the middle has a test mode, but it sounds like it just measures the voltage during starting and when the engine is running, which is not very useful for a complex car like the Prime. The one on the right is the Polar model, which is designed to work at lower temperatures. Just get the cheapest one.

Salamander_King likes this.
  17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I will get the basic one.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah that "basic" one is my advanced one, also have a CTEK 3.3. Hook up steps:

1. Connect to battery. (Display will run through the lights repeatedly, for 5~6 seconds, then go dark)
    2. Connect to wall outlet. Now you can push the mode button, and with each push it shows a different charge option, or combo of options.

I'm a "frequent charger", due a car that often sits idle for at least a day, so I've hooked up the quick connect, so I don't have to fuss with alligator clips. Fourth gen (and Prime) are at least a little easier, with the battery posts directly accessible in the engine bay.

Mine is charging right now, and as often as not that's the case. Once it's hooked up I just leave it on until the next time the car is used.

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean you top-off the battery so often when your car sit in a garage just for a day? My idea of battery tending in the past is like this. It's winter, very cold, temp is sub-zero (F). I go out to the car in a morning to leave to work. I turn my key, but the engine will nor turn over. The headlight is dim or completely out. Darn, I have a dead battery! I connect my good old >30 years old Schumacher SE-1010 10 Amp Manual Battery Charger. Leave it. GO back inside, have another cup of coffee. Then, go back out 30min to 1 hour later. I crank the engine. Engine starts. Let it sit on idle for a while, and I am on my way to work being 1 hour late. Now, I never did this routine on my previous Gen3 Prius nor current PRIME, but have done on HCH once, and many times on our old Sienna and previous Civic. So, here is my question. Is there a benefit on battery tending the way you do, many years before those dead battery symptoms appear on a car, especially on Prius (PRIME included)?

#59 Salamander_King, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think so. There's an inexorable drain on the 12 volt battery in any modern car. Especially with a car that's often sitting idle, at least a day, sometimes multiple days, doubly so.

It helps that it's very convenient for me, with an attached garage, and the quick-connect. I gradually got into this regimen maybe 2 years back, and have had an Optima Yellow Top in for a bit over 3 years now, so I guess this can be my experiment.

Once the charger has completed it's charging cycle it's just "ticking over", monitoring the battery and giving it a little kick from time to time. I think. I don't think it's using much juice, but honestly haven't monitored, saying hooking up to a "kill a watt".