1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

most efficient speed ? Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Stevie, Jun 4, 2013.

1. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Prius C two and it does not have that. I think you need the three or four with the GPS.

2. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Haha good pickup, I totally missed that. Okay that settles it... next big drive I do I'm taking my trustworthy GPS logger (normally used for geotagging my photos on trips, with the bonus side effect of producing a nice trip log map). I'll try to take some notes, note the car's GPS display and also export the GPX log from the car and compare them at home.

3. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    ztanos has the four. The Australian market gets a totally different head unit. Both Australian trim levels have a display audio system, with our i-Tech model including a GPS system which is a surprisingly outdated version of iGO primo. It contains an automatic Trip Logging feature which I turned on when first playing with it and never turned off again. Kind of amazes me that Toyota would put such a depressingly outdated system in the car, with outdated maps for good measure.

Unlike the US system, ours doesn't display any car data nor change any car settings. I suspect if Apple gets their iOS in the car right, chances are that down the line I'll replace the whole thing with something more suitable for a tech car.

Never expected to rely on the built-in GPS and I've stuck with my TomTom for serious navigation, but for now the built-in is there for casual use.

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have the 4 with the GPS... my guess is that because he has an Australian car, he has a different HU.

Edit:

Read the rest of the thread.

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It works under 46 mph. 40 is great to utilize and keep it in EV easier.

6. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The EV limit is between 76 and 77 km/h indicated for me. I drive it down a hill at 74 km/h (46 mph) in EV every morning on the way to work.

7. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine kicks off after 43 MPH on a flat road and comes back on under 43 MPH :confused: 42 to be exact.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Lighter foot... grasshopper. :D

minkus likes this.
  9. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hahaha! I'll give it a try and see :cool:

10. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Having run a few mpg tests as a competitor t most efficient spee is the one thats getting the best mpg; it depernds on the road surface, curves, uphill downhill or level, wind direction, aerodynamics (even on a fixed shape the resistance variers with yaw), the tires, and the fuel itself to start with (all gasolines are different) as well as throttle opening..
    In the old days we used a vcuum meter on the manifiold to get the greatest efficiency. Nowdays, Honda Hybrids since 2001 have 'instantaneoug mpg gages on the dash that you can actually view the mpg directly. I'ved seen an Insight v1 get over 125 mpg on level ground and some of those guys can actuyally get over 120 mpg on a 60 mile or more course ! in competitions. Perhaps a 'Scangage' will also do that.
    Sadly, there is no 'fixed speed that will maximize mpg.

11. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What is the economy score and how do you get an economy score over 60? I gotten a MPG read of 50. . .60.. . and even 70, but my economy score was 60 how is that possible?

12. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The eco score is based on 3 things and it's a scale from zero to 100% . 1 is how you accelerate from stops.
    2 is based on your accelerator use during the cruise portion of your driving and 3 is based on your braking
    performance. The total is a combination of those 3. The higher the total, the better your MPG's will be,
    IMO, 60 is a low score. I often get 90%. The eco score isn't giving you MPG data. It's giving you driver
    performance data. The higher the score, the better you are at driving the vehicle to get maximum MPG.

13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The ECO score is garbage. I have run for over two miles with a 5 on the accelerate and a 5 on the brake. I'll never leave the EV only section, but my cruise will still only be a 2... I've slammed the brakes and gotten a 5... made a perfect stop and gotten a 1... it's way too inconsistent... I quit looking at it.

14. R Scneider

R Scneider Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would have to agree with Ztanos.
    This morning on the way to work I was able to get 64.3 MPG for the first time. My ECO score was under 75%.
    Don't waste your time.

15. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my eco score of 90 managed to net me 84 MPG :cool: and not for the first time.

I routinely get 75 and up with an eco score around 90 :D

Attached Files:

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well, my Eco score of 65 netted me a MPG avg of 73. So, take that as it's worth.

17. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For what distance ?

18. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Over 30 miles, or under 10 miles. Take your pick. I've done over 12,300 miles in the last 6 months, so I have had plenty of trips to realize that the ECO score is hokey.

19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Speaking of... hit this milestone last night on my way home from work... Exactly 6 months as of yesterday and still loving this car...
    [​IMG]

20. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Eco Score is designed to help drivers learn how to take off from stops, use light throttle inputs with a steady
    foot and brake without wasting the regen energy and I think it helps teach better use of the systems.
    Especially to a new non hybrid driver.

I see your air bag lamp is nice and bright :ROFLMAO: I pulled my cluster and blocked off all 3 lamps :cool:

Have you seen this ? How to turn off "Air Bag Off" light? | PriusChat

Or this ? My Auto Headlamp kit Installation | PriusChat

I like the smart key and wondered why they wouldn't add auto headlamps with it. I enjoy not
    using a key or turning on the headlamps. This was a simple setup and very cheap too.
    I love it and think every 3 or 4 should have it :cool:

Danny13pruisc3 and ztanos like this.