1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2018 navigation cannot be updated

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by IABoy987, Jun 3, 2022.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I posted on another Plug in forum that Iwas surprised that my 2018 plug in cannot be updated to 2022 maps.
    Need SD micro disk for latest 2021/22 navigation map for 2018 Prime | PriusChat

What changed in 2019 and later, different mapping company, better formatting, newer information heads have totally new software that does not allow backwards compatibility? How are the 2019 and later plug ins have their maps updated? New micro cards, dealer does updating, updating via paid satellite link (like Sirrus XM)?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Denso is the manufacturer.
    Don't waste your time trying to update.
    Go take the $200 the updates (if even available) cost and put it towards a Garmin Nuvi with Lifetime Maps.
    You'll be glad you did.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you!! Saved me from navigating through Garmins array of units. Will look at your suggested unit. We already have an old Garmin but the battery is dead and they want $$ to replace battery, so will get the latest greatest.
    Our old unit required hooking to computer to download map updates and since we have a 2mb DSL here in the sticks , it took overnight to complete a download. :( I am assuming you have this newer unit, do the new units still require a computer or is there faster ways?

4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My Nuvi is older but I still get free map updates.
    As far as I know you'll still need a PC to pull the update (3GB approx) and install it to the Nuvi.
    I have a minimum broadband connection from Xfinity so it does take a little while to download it.
    Might I suggest if you have a decent Cellphone plan and good coverage you might try connecting your PC to your Cell's Hotspot.
    My plan gets about 50Mbs on the hotspot which in your case could sure beat 2Mbs. Just a thought.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to really try updating in-car nav map data. You can try 86271-GN8PR-21 card from Toyota for $210. I think it is the newest version 2021 map update for the 11.6" display HU. But my feeling is that it won't work on your 2018 Plug-in Base, if that is the Prius Prime Plus with 7" display unit. That is totally different HU from 11.6" display. Someone with 2018 PP Advanced (11.6" display) successfully installed the 86271-GN8PR-20 card which is 2020 map update.
    Prius Prime 2019 Map Update | PriusChat

But as I have suggested in the other thread and being suggested by @schja01 here, investing into a new Garmin is way better option. Unfortunately, even the newest models of Garmin still requires the computer (either PC or Apple but no Linux and no Chrome OS) to download the new map update. So, keep that in your mind if you don't have a fast internet connection. I am sure nowadays, you can take your laptop to many places such as Starbucks or Toyota dealer and connect to decent speed WiFi which would be better than your DSL.