1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Nikola v. Tesla

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are reports this complaint has been filed:
    https://insight.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/12903053

COMPLAINT FOR INFRINGEMENT OF UNITED STATES PATENT NOS. D811,944; D811,968; AND D816,004
    . . .​

We've seen similar patent disputes in the past that tried to block large format NiMH battery cells and the micro-controller, Prius transmission. Patent sitting comes to mind but there are times when innovation has occurred and the patent owner deserves the win. I say this because I have an open mind and a court filing without deposition and discovery is just one side. So I went to:

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF ARIZONA

To see if there were any open court filings, I went to the district court web page and could find no case titled with either Nikola and/or Tesla in the title. Perhaps someone with more legal skills (calling @hill) or others might give some insights on how to follow the case.

My initial impression:
    • D811,944 Fuselage - aerodynamics dictates the shape and overlaying the profiles, they are not identical. Close but not the same as the Tesla curve starts significantly lower.
    • D811,968 Wrap Windshield - common on boats and some concept cars, it doesn't strike me as unique. Now if it had claimed, "No A Pillar Windshield", I would be more agreeable with the patent. This one is too close for me to call since Google quickly found prior art.
    • D816,004 Side Door - where is a door supposed to go if not on the side? Now if one of them had a lift, maybe, but this seems silly. Perhaps a modified X-wing door that opens to a rain shielded exit like a guard station.
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Ah we will build a factory in your state so we will sue in your state. Pleadings worth reading.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

The efficient diesel phev truck developed by freightliner (owned by daimler) with funding help from the doe. It looks like it has many of the design elements before the nikola patents.

I would say many items nikola is patenting are generic. The wrap around windshield/mid door design seems new, and perhaps tesla is infringing on that. I have no idea if that is important to their design. It seems nikola wants to copy tesla, even picking the same man to give the name to the company, using his less known first name because tesla already was using his last.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    the pleading says both corporations are domiciled in Delaware. Sorta limits forum shopping - one fed district or another.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.