1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plasti dip acrylic grill

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sezy, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, not sure if it is stronger than OEM or not, but the aftermarket grille that is already sold here costs more than OEM one.

#21 Salamander_King, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like brushed titanium? :D Better yet, that beskar stuff used in the Mandalorian's armor. :whistle:

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Sezy is the clear bra 3m or other paint protection film, clear Plactic Dip or some other kind of top coat?

Must be too early in the mornin... I see what it is now.
    Looks nice ... hope it don't throw off the sonar :coffee:

#23 vvillovv, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Sezy likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just beware of the Mudhorns:eek:.

They do a number on that stuff(y).

5. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    All good. Originally it was plastic dipped then had it painted to match the car. After it cured had Xpel brand clear bra applied.
    Here's some pictures the clear bar guy sent me while applying. It's hard to tell its there even in person. 53535287757ae724cbc62691a1778c99.0.jpeg 8e7f23f0ff39252ec7a118e6c5e8be81.0.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    priuschat-avatar2-1024.jpg prince-princess.jpg

I did invisablemask front bumper hood fenders and rear view on our 14 Prius Plugin. It's nice stuff and really hard to tell there is anything on top of the paint.
    Invisablemask had 3 precut sizes for the plugin in 2014. They still have 3 sizes for the hood along with precut pieces for almost every part of the Prime you'd want to apply it too.
    Invisablemask is 3m scotchguard pro and there site has installation and removal instructions

I had two bubbles on the compound angles in the lower bumper I could get to level out (not too noticeable unless you knew where to look) and the side rearviews took almost as long as all the others combined.

#26 vvillovv, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Sezy likes this.
  7. tom lane

tom lane New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Hey there Salamander_King. I cracked the acrylic grille sub-assembly on my wife's 2020 prime yesterday and trying to find ways to replace it. I can't believe I am having to deal with is but hey I guess that's life :)

If I was to somehow find this acrylic piece perhaps from a salvage or wrecking yard without having to purchase the entire grille assembly (53101-47052), I am wondering if you see a way I can remove the old one and snap in the new piece into the existing grille without having to remove the entire bumper assembly?

I see that you have the grille sub-assembly on its own so I thought you might have a better idea on how it snaps into place.

Thanks in advance!
    Tom

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still have not used my "spare" grille subassembly. But from working with it and removing just the acrylic part from the grille subassembly base (the black plastic part), it is impossible to just replace the acrylic part without first removing the grille subassembly from the car. In fact, I doubt you will be able to buy just acrylic parts separately. From what I have read and seen someone do it, removing the front bumper cover and replacing the entire grille subassembly is not too difficult. As long as it is in good condition, I would just swap the entire grille subassembly without removing the acrylic part from the base.

You might want to read this thread, starting from my comment found in the link.
    Jerry's Evolving Thoughts on "new-to-me" Prime Premium | Page 32 | PriusChat
    Continue to my comment #662 to see how I remove the acrylic part from the base.

#28 Salamander_King, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.