1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius PRIME 12 V battery size

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by aznkorboi, Feb 23, 2019.

1. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey all!

Does anyone know the sizing for the 12 v battery for the prime? It seems mine has died after 39,000 or 2 years.

The warranty is only up to 36,000 or 3 years :(

I know I had it in accessory mode a few times which may have caused the poor battery drain. I also have a dash cam installed for parking mode but it cuts off after 12 hours and within a certain voltage.

Regardless, I had to jump my car twice and the dealer told me I'll need a new battery. Any help would be great!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same as 4th gen Prius? There's some threads here. @Elektroingenieur is very in-the-know.

aznkorboi and Elektroingenieur like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prime batteries are an issue. you may have gotten one of the bad ones.
    otoh, the dash cam may be a role, don't killl the next battery with it.
    @Prodigyplace is one of the experts iirc

aznkorboi likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yuppers

aznkorboi likes this.
  5. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Your battery is a Yuasa, 45 Ah, 295 Amp battery, made in Japan. In the USA Yuasa only sells motorcycle, snowmobile, etc. batteries, not car batteries. I would recommend that you check with Costco or a similar store for a battery that will fit the Prime and match those specifications. The reason I say that is that I expect the dealer to try to charge you at least twice as much for an OEM battery than buying one outside. And since the OEM one only lasted two years there is no obvious advantage to stick with a Toyota one. Incidentally, the last two batteries I have bought from Costco have lasted twelve and ten years (99 Tacoma and 00 Lexus).

pghyndman and aznkorboi like this.
  6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    See my January 5 posting; the size is called LN 1, H4, or 140R, and the originally-installed type is an ordinary “maintenance free,” flooded lead-acid battery, not an AGM battery like those in older Prius cars.

Especially now that East Penn is making them, this size is available in many U.S. and Canadian auto parts stores at reasonable prices. Some cross-reference sources haven’t been updated, however, to list such batteries as compatible with fourth-generation Prius and Prius Prime cars.

If you replace your car’s battery, and you’re happy with the replacement, you could do everyone a favor by sharing photos of the old and new batteries, as @KeanuMok kindly did in this posting.
    Those are the main electrical specifications, but I’m not sure it’s always a GS Yuasa battery from Japan. The original battery in mine (seen here), for example, is marked with “20HR 45Ah CCA 295A(EN),” a manufacturing part number (28800-37140), and a long list of Toyota distributors, but not with a manufacturer name or country of origin.
    Even if you liked the original battery, you wouldn’t necessarily get an identical one at a dealer: the batteries sold as service parts at Toyota dealers in the U.S. have different part numbers and often come from different sources than those originally installed in the assembly plants.

7. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks everyone for the reply! I'm going to look into it and replace it and I'll take photos as well.

They wanted 350 for the battery and they said they don't even know when the battery would come because there is no ETA.

FYI, I also did the ICS recall while I was getting my oil changed at Tustin Toyota. It took them 4.5 hours and after, they fried my ECU so they had to keep the car the whole day. My appointment was at 7 AM also so it's not like I came when there were a ton of people ahead of me.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    brutal. what dealer should we stay away from?:cool:

you're not the only prime owner posting lack of dealer availability for prime 12v, i don't get it. they've been out for 2 years or more?

aznkorboi likes this.
  9. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Haha wow interesting. Tustin Toyota! They were apologetic and all but it would have been nice if they said hey we can give you that new battery under warranty for all the trouble haha

bisco likes this.
  10. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Toyota is having enough of an issue getting those batteries that Toyota USA manually canceled my dealer's order for one to repair my car and told me directly that they won't allow a replacement until after it's died on me and I have to have the car towed to the dealership.

bisco likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At which time a trip to Plano may be in order.

12. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I wouldn't expect Plano to tell me something different in person than they did via telephone.

13. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Consider a standalone 12v portable battery pack to run your dash camera while your Prime is parked, thus no drain on the Primes main battery. Then when you start up your Prime the 12v portable battery pack will automatically get re-charged by the car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A24OIV2F0TL1K3&psc=1

Rob43

Trollbait and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But then you could toss the 12-volt that stranded you through their window.

If batteries are available from other suppliers, Toyota USA should be using them instead of telling customers they have to go through the large inconvenience of getting stranded and towed in order to get the OEM replacement for a known bad part.

bisco likes this.
  15. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  16. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I cannot understand how they can have supply problems for this long. It's a 12V battery FFS. How can it be an issue for months on end across North America? I can't make myself believe a veteran car company like Toyota turned amateur hour as soon as they got a bad batch of parts. Something larger is going on. Is the short supply of Primes connected in some way? My curiosity will be piqued if the 2019 has a different design for the 12V system.

bisco likes this.
  17. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm pretty upset too. It's been out over 2 years and the guy told me they don't have it in stock and don't know when it will be in stock..

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When fourth gen first came out, with 12 volt battery in engine compartment, I thought yeah, troubles are over..

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I found a "possible" name brand 12v replacement battery, I'll take some measurements of my Primes battery & go see this
    possible replacement battery at my local store a little later today...

If this name brand battery fits, it will cost less than $79 dollars at this nationally operated big box store.

Edit: Found another "possible" name brand battery at ~$120.

Rob43

#20 Rob43, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019