1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime Front Bumper Damage

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dotters, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Dotters

Dotters New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    IMG_7383 - Copy.JPG IMG_7384 - Copy.JPG IMG_7385 - Copy.JPG IMG_7386 - Copy.JPG IMG_7387 - Copy.JPG
    Unfortunately I hit a stray piece of luggage on the freeway today and had some damage on the front driver side bumper. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me the parts I'd need to get in order to fix it up. I'm gonna have it looked at by my repairman to see what he can do to the scratches on the bumper and to see if anything else was broken but I was hoping I'd be able to fix the other stuff by myself because it seemed like the pieces should just snap in.

I've been looking on the toyota website for what the parts would be called but I'm kind of lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Electronic Parts Catalog for the Prius Prime is on Toyota’s website. On the page I linked, select your car’s trim level (Four Advanced, Four, or Three), and then click Body and Interior Parts. From your photos, you’re likely to need parts from the FRONT BUMPER & BUMPER STAY (52-01) and HOOD & FRONT FENDER (53-02) figures.

Using the EPC can be a bit intimidating, since it still follows conventions established in the days of paper and microfiche catalogs. The illustrations sometimes give an actual ten-digit or twelve-digit Toyota part number used when ordering from a dealer’s parts counter or website. More often, the illustrations give a Part Name Code (PNC) of five or six characters. Find the PNC in the parts list below the figure to see the corresponding part number; if more than one part number is shown for the same PNC, the production date and other information in each listing determine which part (if any) goes with your car.

The certification label on the driver’s door pillar shows your car’s model code and production date (in MM/YY format). If the label says ZVW52L-AHXEBA, then your car is what the catalog calls a ZVW52..BASE; model code ZVW52L-AHXGBA is a ZVW52..L. The catalog designation ZVW52 on its own refers to all Prius Prime or Prius PHV cars, except as otherwise noted.

In the figures, a number in parenthesis after the part number or PNC is usually the quantity required, and the designations (LH) and (RH) refer to the left and right sides of the car. References to other figures use the four-digit figure numbers assigned by Toyota, but for some reason, those aren’t shown on the U.S. parts website. If a part should match the body color, but the catalog shows only one part number without color information, then the repair part will generally be supplied unpainted.

You may also need to refer to the Repair Manual for the correct procedures to install the parts. I’m not aware of a free source for this, but it is available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Elektroingenieur note that the PHV/Prime has a different front bumper and plastic piece than the Prius Liftback.

4. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, of course—“Prius goes plural” and all that.

Did the link I gave not go to the Prime parts catalog for you?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh I saw "accessories" but I had to click the "menu" to find the parts and "body and interior".

Sorry

6. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No worries; I usually link to parts.toyota.com since it’s the official source, but the user interface is embarrassingly bad, especially compared to some of the third-party sites that were built by extracting the same data from Toyota’s EPC discs.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. agrajag85

agrajag85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Left front bumper cover is P/N 5211347901 without the parking sensor. It's retail $227.50. It's a pain to get off. They made the bumper assembly pieces to reduce costs of minor damage so you don't have to replace the entire bumper, but the assembly is insane. You have to disassemble pretty much the entire front of the car to get that cover off. I got some damage from a curb, broke an internal bracket and cracked the left front bumper. Two repair estimates were ~$900 for labor and painting and that was without the parking sensor. Not worth it. Get some touch-up paint and be done with it. Your car color ID is on the name plate inside the driver side door next to the VIN #. Just Google that code or search in Amazon to get the paint touch-up kit. Don't bother replacing, it's not worth it.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So the cost of the part is lower but the labour cost is the same because you still have to disassemble the bumper anyway.

9. Mattdaddy

Mattdaddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Call Toyota USA at 800-331-4331 if your Prius Prime has a front bumper damaged from normal, every day use!
    The front bumper of the 2nd Generation Prius Prime (2016 to present) is made of multiple components. The "acrylic" middle section forms the leading edge of the front bumper. It is called the Grille Assembly, part number 53101-47052. This component is well-know to be extremely brittle, subject to cracking and crumbling even from minor, common highway debris like stones. Our 2017 Prius Prime suffered minor parking lot damage two weeks into its life with us in January 2018! Common shop replacement of the Grille Assembly runs over $1,000. Over the next two years, this leading edge of the "bumper" would be bumped in typical parallel parking situations multiple times. Each time, the Grille Assembly has been cracked. Finally, after another minor "bump" (none of which have resulted in the driver of the "bumper" to leave a note or perhaps even know that they bumped the Prius) we need to replace the Grille Assembly again. That's another $1,000 plus out of pocket.
    I assumed that, knowing this is a design flaw, Toyota would assist Prius Prime owners with the fix. I was wrong! The senior team member who called me today explained that Toyota does not accept the concept of a design flaw. He explained that the part is made that way and although it is not suitable as a "bumper," Toyota takes no responsibility for delivering a part that is not remotely merchantable, not appropriate for its intended purpose.
    If you own a Prius Prime and have ANY issues with the Grille Assembly, call Toyota and register your complaint. They know about this problem and need to take responsibility and assist owners with a solution. Clearly, they also need to redesign this part to survive expected "bumps." After all, it's a bumper!

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, it is a very common problem in all model years of PRIME. BTDT Read the following threads.
    Sleazy front bumper appliqué | PriusChat
    Front grill crack | PriusChat
    17-18 Prius Prime grille question | PriusChat
    Front ‘glass’ grill | PriusChat

If anyone is interested in fiberglass resin repaired Prius Prime used grille subassembly, I have one to sell. I no longer own PP, and have a used part I bought for a spare that I worked on to repair and fortify.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just being a wag: they should call that dreck at the front a “fairing”, not a “bumper”. I’ve had a simmering mad-on over what they’ve done to the traditional bumper, for about 40 years now lol.