1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sensor wire chewed, need help identifying part

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by paxfamilia, Nov 14, 2020.

1. paxfamilia

paxfamilia New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Found another chewed (squirrel) wire on a sensor. I"m assuming this one is the pre-collision (forward) warning sensor, since that sensor is flashing on the dash in red symbol, and also in white writing. Location on 2017 Prius C: On top of air filter housing, between air filter and ICE. See photo. Is this the for the pre-collision (forward) warning sensor, of something more related to combustion?

Is there an easy fix, or do I now have to go buy another sensor pigtail and splice and crimp all these wires......again. (Just did the camshaft sensor pigtail, was a pain in the butt do to tight location; at least this one is easily accessible.)

Thanks everyone!!! That camshift sensor pigtail was only $8. Toyota wanted $1800 for harness replacement...buttholes.......

Attached Files:

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That one looks like it's already been repaired before? Rodents must be enjoying themselves....

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Your photo shows connector C21, for the Intake Mass Air Flow Meter Sub-Assembly, part of the engine control system. If there is also a warning light for the pre-collision system, there may be another damaged connector elsewhere.
    There doesn’t appear to be enough of the damaged pink wire left at the connector to make a good splice, so I’m afraid you’ll need to use another repair wire (pigtail). The Electrical Wiring Diagram (more info) says the repair wires have Toyota part number 82998-24250 (tin-plated terminals) or 82998-24260 (gold-plated terminals), but it doesn’t say which style is used for this specific connector, so you’ll need to check. Use blue parallel splices (82999-12020) and silicone tape, as shown in the video. The connector housing part number is 90980-12292.

The rodent deterrent tape that @ChapmanF kindly mentioned in the last thread has Honda part number 4019-2317 for a 20-meter roll. I believe it’s Teraoka No. 347, with red pepper extract; the data sheet (PDF) includes the results of a rat validation study.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And if there's anything I can't stand, it's when people don't validate their rats.