1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speak to me of scanners

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tickwood, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have read some about scanners and what I think I know is:
    1. There are plenty of cheap (under $ 100) but pretty good machines available but:
    2. There is not much you can actually change without additional complex and expensive software running on connected laptop.
    Am I right so far? Is there is any value in having a cheap scanner hooked up.
    I would appreciate your comments.

Arlene303 likes this.
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’ve bought both Toyota’s Techstream Lite kit and a Tactrix Openport 2.0 interface and been satisfied with them; I’m sure others will comment on less-expensive options.
    Even if you have Toyota’s Techstream diagnostic software, there aren’t that many settings to change. The Owner’s Manual (PDF) has a list of customizable features, pages 741–751, and there is more information in the Repair Manual (more info), under General: Introduction: Repair Instruction: Customize Parameters.

In my opinion, the main value of a diagnostic system comes when a warning light turns on or there is some other problem: you can find out what diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) have been stored in the car’s computers, and then look in the Repair Manual for the corresponding troubleshooting procedures. You can also check other stored data such as Vehicle Control History events and use the data list, active test, and utility features, just as a dealer technician would. Even if you choose to (or have to) leave the actual repairs to a dealer or independent shop, having the information can give you an advantage.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    take 10 minutes and a ride with Scotty - you may like what you see

Arlene303 likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I didn’t watch the entire video, but it raises an important point: many inexpensive scan tools, such as the one shown, have been programmed only to communicate with an engine control module using the protocols defined in the government-required OBD II standards. Prius and Prius Prime cars meet those standards, of course, so that’s fine, if you’re trying to diagnose an engine or emission control problem, or to make sure the car is ready for a Smog Check test.

If you’re trying to solve a problem with the hybrid system, plug-in charge control system, pre-collision system, or any of the car’s other systems using an OBD II-only scan tool, however, you’re out of luck, as @ChapmanF has kindly explained better than I can in this previous thread: What can Techstream do that others cannot?

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Very true @elecktroingenieur Even Scotty is starting to come around to the hybrid ways and has already posted some positive videos about Prius and even owns and boasts about his Toyota and Toyota quality.
    It seems to me anyway, Scotty is not as intimated by the complexity of the hybrid systems as he used to be.
    I attribute that mostly to the complexity of almost every newer car on the market today. Mechanics need to understand how complex ODB2 systems are now a days with multiple ECUs in all new cars.

But, you are right, hybrids and EV's are the cars that usually have the most ECUs and sensors.
    And I've had to learn the hard way about scan tools that wouldn't access the systems I need info from, too....

If I wasn't saving my pennies to setup a techstream system that will access as much of the Primes data as I can afford to buy, I'd probably already have one of those cheapies Scotty is showing in the video above.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm pretty sure an Elektroingenieur explanation would be better, I just happened to write one first.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would dare say hybrids have more ECUs than EVs...

Can always get the real Techstream Lite for $495 (plus shipping).

MongoosePro Toyota 2

Then the cough $65 Techinfo subscription for two days worth of diagnostics, via download access to latest Techstream software. (Used to be $55 for two days.)

I have the prior Mongoose Pro 2....

moto g(7) power ?

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @ChapmanF and @Elektroingenieur I respect the experience both you guys bring to this forum A lot....

I haven't even plugged in techstream to any car yet. I do have info from one of Chaps post here many years ago about Openport 2.0 although whenever I go check it out I never see much if anything concerning the Prius with plugs.
    Much like my searches for the Drew passthrough dongle I always have in the back of my mind, is this product going to be able to access most or all the sensors /systems in the car or am I going to need the newest version to see those things. And I probably wouldn't know for sure until I plug one in.

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was hesitant about the Drew "Techstream Lite" because at the time it could not activate the remote start that I installed. I even found the old DENSO VIM on eBay but a mechanic had just bought it. I sent him a message about possibly selling it and he said he used it every day.... It is a dealer level tool otherwise fully compatible with the software. When I asked the tech support the person at the time said they are working on solving that issue. There was/is a known bugs list on the techinfo site to see if there's something you need that the Lite version can not do, but I'd be very surprised if that list is long. In fact if you search the techinfo site you will find it the Lite version referenced there. That one is a newer version. I did once hack the download to not expire. But when I subscribed again (for $55 the old price) I could not download the new version. Toyota has a way to catch the hacks. I also have a VXDiag Multi Diag (multi-manufacturer but the one I bought specifically PIWIS 3) system I bought from vxdiagshop.com. I can add Toyota support for a minimal cost but probably go the official route...

moto g(7) power ?

10. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Strictly speaking, OBD II (spelled thus by EPA, CARB, and SAE, by the way) refers only to the subset of on-board diagnostic capabilities required by emissions regulations. Everything else, even if provided using the same data link connector (“DLC3” or “Data Link Connector 3,” in Toyota’s terms) and similar protocols, is controlled by the automakers and their suppliers, who can follow or ignore the SAE and ISO standards, as they choose.

You’re quite correct, however, that service technicians need to know something about diagnostic systems, communications networks, and electronic control units. They don’t have to be electrical engineers or software developers, but they need to be able to do more than follow rote procedures—although, frankly, I’ve seen all too many times when step-by-step use of the Repair Manual would have been far more effective than leaping to conclusions based on incomplete or flawed systems knowledge.

The Repair Manual and diagnostic tools are meant to be used together, as essential parts of an overall strategy, which Toyota describes in the “How To Troubleshoot ECU Controlled Systems” pages in every edition of the Repair Manual. It’s not much use to have a scan tool that spits out fortune cookies (@ChapmanF's apt term for the one-line, on-screen descriptions for each DTC), without being able to look up the detection conditions, or what steps to follow to find the actual failed part, but it can be just as futile to use a Repair Manual procedure that requires active tests you have no way to do, or that says to check data list items you have no way to read.
    You’ll need Techstream software that covers the model year of vehicle you’re trying to diagnose, but the vehicle interface module can be older, since the physical-layer protocols change slowly: even the so-called “high speed” CAN bus operates at only 500 kb/s. I have every confidence that the MongoosePro interface I bought a few years ago would work with a 2021 Mirai just as well as it does with my 2016 Prius.
    “Lite” means only that the kit doesn’t include the ruggedized PC that’s part of the more expensive Techstream 2.0 or Techstram ADVi kits, so you have to provide your own PC and Microsoft Windows operating system. The model coverage and capabilities of the Techstream software should be the same, whether you use any of Toyota’s kits; a MongoosePro Toyota 2 interface or one of its predecessors purchased from Drew Technologies; a DENSO or other VIM sold by Toyota in other markets; or in principle, any other J2534-compliant vehicle interface module with the necessary capabilities. (Results with the latter are reported to vary.)

Nearly all of the Techstream features described in the Repair Manual series (more info) and service bulletins are supposed to be available to anyone with a valid license, but there are a few exceptions. I’ve written before about the Smart Code Reset feature, which is restricted to deter auto theft. There are also features that have to interact with computer systems at Toyota in ways that may be available only to dealers, as when activating a new telematics DCM or uploading a Health Check report to Toyota’s database.
    You don’t have to log in to see the current Known Bugs List and Release Notes. At this writing, for Techstream software version 15.30.027, there are 14 open issues, 24 design limitations, and 25 closed issues.

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I never said the bugs list was privy only to subscribers. I just did not link it. Someone interested can fairly easily find it in the appropriate section.

It was definitely not the case that Techstream Lite (aka Mongoose) was the same as the DENSO VIM. The DENSO VIM could initiate the remote start while the Mongoose at the time could not....

It Seems Techstream 2.0 has been replaced by Techstream ADVi, and no, the VIM does not look the same as a Mongoose Pro Toyota 2. This document also implies that even this system is not the same system as what Toyota dealers use. View attachment tsadvi_am.pdf

moto g(7) power ?

12. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have to do it...

13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Basically, having the right tools for the job and knowing how to use them correctly is my main goal.
    About DrewTech

Elektroingenieur I'm so grateful that you took the time to explain to me and and others here at PC how Techstream works, the official naming structure (ODB ll and DLC3 ie: Data Link Connector 3), and how Toyota describes them in Techstream. All the links provided in your posts pointing at more information and most of all the suggestions.
    From the posts I read of yours here at PC I believe you have years of experience using the diagnostic systems Toyota provides.
    And posting in your methodical and precise manner is always a pleasure for me when reading.

I need to spend more time following the links you provide in your posts and leaning how to understand and use Techstream and less time making "fortune cookie" posts here at PC concerning systems I only understand as a user or from backyard mechanics perspective,

#13 vvillovv, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  14. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s a fair point, but bugs aside, I don’t think there are intentional differences in the capabilities of the various Toyota-approved VIMs and kits, at least when used with Prius cars. (It’s different for model year 1995 and earlier and GR Supra vehicles, which use data link connectors other than the Toyota DLC3.)

Like other automakers, through the AAIA Memorandum of Understanding and Right-to-Repair Agreement, Toyota has committed to making the same diagnostic tools available to owners and independent shops as they provide to their own dealers, and—taking into account the immobilizer and telematics exceptions that were written into the MOU—I think they’ve done that.

I realize that Toyota’s prices don’t fit every budget, however, and I was hoping we might hear from people who have firsthand experience with alternatives, especially those that don’t involve unauthorized copies of the Techstream software. There are many PriusChat threads about the Carista app, for example, but most of those are focused on its use for customization rather than diagnosis.

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I agree all potential emissions related codes are readable even by the $40 Autel unit I bought at Walmart when my friend had a check engine light in his Mercedes, which in his case were due to transmission codes.

The Mongoose Pro can do the remote start initialization now I can happily report. I haven't tested it, I ended up taking the car to the dealer at that time. Mongoose Pro was coming out, hadn't yet at the time. It was on the list for a while...

I do hope the ADVi is the same as what is at a dealer. The sales flyer says "Aftermarket" which gives me a bad feeling the dealers may have something else. That $5k or $6k, is actually little compared to the official Mercedes Star or Porsche PIWIS 3, roughly 1/4 the price.

My Foxwell NT510 Elite has a section on TPMS programming but I've been waiting over two months for them to implement it. Was going to try to populate the spare tire which I installed a sensor when getting a larger size spare to match larger tires. Nothing to write home about I'm afraid.

moto g(7) power ?