1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel defect after a very hot day

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HaiJinx, Oct 2, 2022.

1. HaiJinx

HaiJinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I bought an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty “whichever comes first.” I hope to have a good warranty and never need it but. To limit it at 8 years make no sense to me. In any case one day it was over 105 degrees. And I noticed a blister on my steering wheel. So I tried to press it down. File attached with image of the result. Is this covered under warranty? Any advice? Car is 2017 Prius Prime.

Attached Files:

2. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Without reading your warranty it would be hard to tell, but, at least now I finally have an answer to why these things are happening to the gen 4 steering wheels. Sorry your misfortune was needed to inform me, though.

HaiJinx likes this.
  3. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In general, no.

See the "not covered" section of the "Extended Warranty".
    Note the 4th-line from the bottom.

ToyotaVSAPlatinum_eBrochure_exclusions.jpg

However, that does not mean that Toyota may not cover some/all of the replacement cost under "a good will gesture".

Good Luck!

HaiJinx likes this.
  4. Same happened to me over a year ago. And, despite having all the extended warranty plans, they all said not covered.

HaiJinx likes this.
  5. HaiJinx

HaiJinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I guess this is not happening to just me. I’m going to see what they can do. I’m going to write a letter to corporate and let them know more people are having this issue.

6. HaiJinx

HaiJinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank you! I’m going to try and write a letter to corporate. I love how they sell the warranty as “bumper to bumper.” More like bummer to bummer.

douglasjre and Montgomery like this.
  7. HaiJinx

HaiJinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Also another thing that happens when it gets over 100 degrees and the wheel is in the sun the wheel itself feels very oily.

8. HaiJinx

HaiJinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    0CCC4299-A7A7-45DA-8448-76D2A58B4AEF.jpeg So I looked up parts online and they range from $611 to $421. If Toyota won’t cover the steering wheel under warranty would they void my bumper to bumper if I get the work done elsewhere?

9. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, you are allowed to get the vehicle repaired, by a professional competent mechanic and shop, with OEM, or equivalent parts.

HOWEVER, it gets more involved.
    If you do have a non-dealer do the repair, then if ANYTHING at all related or associated with that part/system does have a possible warranty failure (in this case, most likely the air bag, or steering angle sensor), THEN the Dealership and/or Toyota have the Legal Right to not cover that repair.
    In that case, you would have the right to dispute their non-coverage, by the terms defined in the contract.
    Note, if the terms in the contract say "Go Pound Sand", then that is the only legal recourse. Some contracts say, disputes settled only by arbitration, they pick the all of the rules, and they pick the arbitrator. Imho, "Go Pound Sand" is more concise. :) So, unless there's some legal issue with the contract (did you not sign it, did they hold a gun to your head), the consumer has no legal recourse.
    Note#2: Some States may have their own laws that supersede some contract terms.

Imho, in the case of a steering wheel replacement, there isn't much at risk, in terms of possibly voided "extended warranty" areas.

However, if someone puts a trailer hitch on the car for even one second (it's not hard to tell), then many areas and components could be denied warranty coverage (engine, tranny, brakes, suspension, frame, body, battery, inverter, possible mechanical/thermal stress related failures, and so on, and so on). But, if the radio goes, and you have a trailer hitch on the car, the trailer hitch isn't relevant to the radio failure. Imho, one of the few things. :)

In case you never noticed, the car knows, logs, and sends a lot of information related to it's use. If you ever did a Quarter Mile test run, that's logged, and also sent to Toyota.
    If the care went up a steep mountain with a very heavy load on the engine/tranny, the car logs that info and also sends it to Toyota.
    If the car does drives over 100MPH, well, you get the idea.
    My guess is if the inside of the car got over 150F, then that would also be logged and sent.
    So, if/when the Dealer/Toyota voids a warranty claim, they very likely have a very strong case.
    Btw, manufactures have had data recorders in various vehicles since the 90's.
    Iirc, now, some data recording is actually required by law (x-secs before/after an accident/air-bag deployment).

Yea, that was a long answer. :)
    But, I wanted you, and others, to have a better idea why a warranty claim can, and can not, be voided by the Dealer and/or manufacturer.

Fwiw, Steve Lehto (lawyer, gear head, author), has done a few youtube videos on the subject.
    However, he titles his videos for quicker clickbait clicks, instead of a good concise descriptive title (he's a lawyer and an author - that would be simple and trivial for him to do). So, searching for subjects on his videos, can be a PITA/very-hard.

Disclaimer:
    I'm not a lawyer.
    The above is not legal advice.

Good Luck!

#9 prius16, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    HaiJinx likes this.
  10. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    It can’t hurt to ask (and push a little) as the design basis for the car should include hot summer days and nights.

11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Peeling Softec from the steering wheel is a very well-known "defect" on PP and Gen4, although Toyota maintains the position that it is not a manufacturing defect, but rather normal wear and tear, much like a small dent or scratch on the body panel.

Read more on this topic, if you like.
    manufacture defect? steering wheel peeling

Here is my comment on this subject.

Here are a few examples. Very few people successfully argued to the dealer and Toyota to have the whole steering wheel replaced. In most cases, it was not covered by the warranty. It seems to happen more often on Advanced trims with the heated steering wheel. My 2017 Premium did not show any sign after 3 years, but I already traded in that vehicle. My thought is even if you are successful in replacing the steering wheel either by warranty or by out-of-your pocket cost, you will be facing the same problem again. Your best remedy maybe just to install a wheel cover as shown in the last thread in the list below.

Steering wheel vinyl coming off | PriusChat
    Softex Steering Wheel Peeling | PriusChat
    steering wheel peeling not warranty covered | PriusChat
    Cheap Steering Wheel on Prime Advance? | PriusChat
    Steering Wheel peeling | PriusChat
    Steering wheel vinyl coming off | PriusChat

Steering wheel leather mod | PriusChat

12. HaiJinx

HaiJinx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi All! I went to DTLA Toyota and submitted a claim for the steering wheel. They approved and I am getting a new steering wheel on Saturday. I said it was a manufacturing defect and they submitted photos.

Attached Files:

Doug McC likes this.
  13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jimmie from DTLA Toyota. Perfect name for the area! Glad the dealer came through

Doug McC likes this.
  14. modeladay

modeladay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a heated steering wheel

15. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you or anyone that drives the car use hand moisturizer/sanitizer? It's been known to cause damage to fake leather.

Tesla has the same problem but will replace the wheel free of charge once, with the following warning:

"Diagnosed and Replaced Steering Wheel. This is caused by hand sanitizer or creams. Avoid using hand lotions or sanitizers shortly before driving to avoid deterioration of steering wheel material".

16. randerson9248

randerson9248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced