1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Temporary or DIY replacement for acrylic jaw on my 2020 Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PortlandDesign, Dec 12, 2020.

1. PortlandDesign

PortlandDesign New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had a fender bender and destroyed the entire acrylic front on my new Prime. It's purely cosmetic...or is it? I am afraid that water will get in and damage sensors, fog lights, and other parts. Is there a temporary or DIY way to cover that area but still make sure that all of the functions remain?

I cannot find a 2020 car bra. But I'm open to all ideas. Wish I had a 3D printer that would make light work of this.

Attached Files:

#1 PortlandDesign, Dec 12, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From my playing with the parts, I am almost certain the acrylic part is purely cosmetic. Yeah, without it the car may suffer some drag that will reduce the mpg, but I don't think there is much protective function. How temporary are you thinking? If it's only a few days, I would not bother. But if you have to wait few months especially in snowy MA streets, I would just order the parts yourself and install them provided there are no other structural damages to the bumper and frames. Since yours is Limited trim you will need this part that accommodates front sensors.

5310147052 - 2017-2020 Toyota Prius Prime Grille Assembly (53101-47052) | Lowe Toyota Parts Center

Edit: After a second look at your photo, I realized that you have lost the front emblem as well. That emblem may have a protective function for the sensors behind it. At the least covering the emblem area with something transparent (otherwise it may hinder the functionality of the sensors) like plastic may be worth trying. But looks like the damage is beyond the acrylic piece. I see the wavy line on the hood, you may have to have the professional body shop to assess the damage and estimate the proper repair in this case?

#2 Salamander_King, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info on the "gift that keeps on giving" to Toyota dealers and body shops.

On that account, I'll never buy one of these cars with a "glass jaw,"

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The grille is not terribly expensive, comparing to many of Primes other parts anyways. That hole next to the center emblem looks nasty. Suggest painters or duct tape for that hole (but not the emblem area) while you are deciding on a course of action.

You might also want to get a 2 day subscription to techstream to double check exactly what needs to be done after replacing that grille and emblem. That way you'll know what else you might need to do or have done, and by who you want it done by, if not doing it yourself.

I wouldn't take the Prime out in the snow (that's supposed to be on it way), like it is in the pic, until you get that emblem hole covered with something that is going to let the sensor work half way decent from underneath it, like SalamanderKing mentioned above.

#4 vvillovv, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The emblem in your link is $289 USD (discounted from $422 suggested retail)? Am I missing something, or is this just an plastic oval??

Also, regarding the smoked grey acrylic piece: is it easy to do that replacement? IIRC @jerrymildred attemped this and was thwarted by some plastic welding of this piece, to the main "bumper" piece.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Dec 15, 2020
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's when having the old part comes in handy, especially if it's a non-functional expensive plastic part.
    Kinda after the fact now for the OP.
    So far as I know, it's still here say about what's behind that emblem.
    I'm sure techstream has more on what's behind the grille and how to approach the repair. https://techinfo.toyota.com/
    Thanks for the link Georgina

#7 vvillovv, Dec 15, 2020
  8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It is a plastic, radar-transparent oval; see my previous explanation.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know how expensive the radar permeating emblem is but seems it is a very expensive plastic for sure. I hope the OP picked it up at the accident site. If it is still intact single piece, then it could still be used.
    As for replacing the acrylic part alone, it is doable. I would not say super easy, though. You still need to take off the entire grille sub-assembly which is the black plastic part behind and around the acrylic part to do the replacement. It is held by clips and double-sided adhesive tapes. If you have an intact piece of acrylic part then placing it into the emptied black backing part is much easier than removing the piece from it. But all this discussion is a moot point since you can not buy just the acrylic piece alone. It always comes preinstalled onto the grille sub-assembly, and the most used grille parts I've seen sold online have this acrylic piece missing or already damaged.

upload_2020-12-15_7-18-56.png

#9 Salamander_King, Dec 15, 2020
    Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took it off to try to weld or glue where the crack was but its location was such that I didn't think I'd be able to do a successful job. Here's the story starting at post #599. Jerry's Evolving Thoughts on "new-to-me" Prime Premium | Page 30 | PriusChat
    I used the attached document that was in Japanese which I google translated. It was pretty easy.

I also noted, as did others, that something else is amiss as evidenced by the deformation of the panel between the grill and the hood.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.