1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water leak inside under the shifter console.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NYC182, Jul 16, 2013.

1. NYC182

NYC182 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I turned the AC on, I get water leak inside. The water dripped from inside of the center console where shifter sits right above.

The water sift into the driver carpet area and front passenger area. If I don't take up the mat, the inside smell like mildew.

I took the car to the dealer and they said the drainer is clogged by the leaves and the water from the AC gets back up into the cabin.

Are you serious?! Is this a design issue or what?! Should the cleaning be under warranty or I need to pay for it? If I would do the cleaning myself, how difficult will it be? What's the step to do the cleaning of the clog?!

Thanks!

Steven

Attached Files:

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The evaporator and housing where all the heat exchange occurs for your AC is toward the middle of your dash, next to the glove box. It sounds entirely feasible that your drain tube is clogged and the water that normally drains out is backing up and leaking to your interior.

Can you fix it yourself? It depends how comfortable you are working with a few hand tools and getting the diagrams or information on the assemblies that you will need to take apart to fix it.

Also, there is the mold and mildew problem you have that will need to be addressed. Make sure you dry out the area that was affected completely or you might have further problems like rusting of the floor panels.

SCH-I535

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd fix it or it will start to sell and create mold and stuff which is allergic and can be toxic. When you fix the leak clean the carpet with Clorox and let it dry very good with windows open

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Avoid using chlorine bleach. It might bleach and discolor your carpeting.

SCH-I535

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dilute and test. You will need to kill the mold. Mild is highly toxic to the body.

6. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or just spray some Lysol on the affected carpet (test an area under a seat to be sure it won't discolor). I suggest you get the evap coils and chamber cleaned. Never use bleach or Lysol on the metal components of the coils (heater or evap) as it could damage them by corrosion.
    Check out my recent maintenance cleaning the evap coils on my Prius using Kool-It:

http://priuschat.com/threads/strange-smell-from-vents.127834/page-3#post-1838480
    Some shots of the evap coil thru the passenger's heater tube removed:

http://priuschat.com/threads/strange-smell-from-vents.127834/page-2#post-1834404

7. Jeff Parriott

Jeff Parriott New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Three
    Steven
    I'm having the exact same problem, and of course it is not under warranty. I hope we find some help from the group. :)

8. Jeff Parriott

Jeff Parriott New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Three

here is a product you can find at NAPA, supposedly. Good Luck....I'm going to try on mine when I find the product.