1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where are the jack-stand points on new 2021 AWD Gen 4? - Newbie

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Just Peg, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I’m getting under I typically use my 6 ton jack stands, at their lowest heights, roughly 15” IIRC. I’m using a cheapie 3 ton floor jack with decent lift. I’d guesstimate that affords me about 15” clearance.

To reduce the “mouse trap” factor, whenever practical, I have a squat section of tree trunk keep me company under there. It’s thicker than me. :)

#21 Mendel Leisk, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Just Peg likes this.
  2. Just Peg

Just Peg New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yeah, I saw that post too. Thank goodness. I found the rubber puck for the floor jacks, and the rubber tops for the jack-stands with the slot in the middle, on amazon. I got it delivered in two days.
    Universal rubber Jack stand pad.jpg It's called Universal rubber Jack stand pads.

3. Just Peg

Just Peg New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    This photo is awesome. I can use it to plan out the placement of my anti-cat-theft devices. I am so glad you shared this!

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Simply sprayed the converter with VHT orange paint.

...and installed this cat shield.

plate mounted on Prius v.JPG You only need two of the Safejacks Rennstands for the front. If you need all four wheels off the floor, then you lift the rear jacking point to place the second set onto the pinch welds,

#24 Georgina Rudkus, Apr 4, 2021
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Sorry if I did. I was just making sure you were aware of the original question. It's easy to get sidetracked, but those other points are useful info.

Good reminder. I didn't use them until the past couple years. I never had any damage, but the attachments that I now have on my jack stands are good insurance.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The scissor jack locations are poor, thin sheet metal, prone to deform, no matter what invention you throw at it.

I put my floor jack on either the front or rear central jacking point, raise, position regular cradle jack stands under heavy gauge, reinforced zones, settled it down: no drama.

I’ll even raise the whole car thus, first the front, then rear. Typically for 4-wheel wheel swaps (spring and fall), or brake work. Always use heavy rubber wheel chocks on the end still on the ground.

There’s good zones, fore and aft, on 3rd gen, and I suspect similar with 4th.

#26 Mendel Leisk, Apr 4, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  7. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    No hurt feelings. Sorry if I went off topic from OP. I have had bitter experience of placing the scissor jack too far forward when replacing the front offside wheel at the roadside and deformed the plastic trim with the weight of the car. I was trying to help others not make my mistake.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The pinch welds are reinforced and up to the job. It's the scissors jack that's the culprit. I am not a fan, however, of placing a jack or jackstand on the inner rail that's the rear mounting point for the front control arm. Bend that area and you'd change the entire front end alignment of the car.

9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We go off topic all the time. I suspect that we sometimes lose new people because they assume we are all either crazy or idiots. :ROFLMAO:

10. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Nothing wrong with being a crazy idiot sometimes. I feel on here there seems a fine line between experience and bragging. Someone even said I was posing because I said I had had 4 prius. I’m just trying to offer my experience , admittedly from the uk.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :D Between the two of us, my wife and I have had six Prii and we got to visit the UK for a few weeks in 2015 (Harrogate). Does that count for anything? We sure could have used a Prius over there with your petrol prices. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PaulDM and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I used rhino ramps. Although Prius is low, I still had decent amount of clearance. Note that awd-e version has a bit of a different looking bump point for the rear jack point that the non awd-e version.

13. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Bummer that the Gen4 floor jack point is so far back. I really like the location of the floor jack points on the Gen3's. However, after dealing with our Hyundai vehicles.....which don't have *any* designated central floor jack points ( only the pinch weld locations ), any floor jack point is a lot better than none! (y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IIRC second gen front central jack point is way back too?? Our sons Mazda MX5 has sim (way back) point. One plus: it’s inline with front wheels, less body flex.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, gen 2 is way back there, too. Thankfully, it has a little more ground clearance than the Prime.

alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.