1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another rear camera question - Loom?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Coedy, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Coedy

Coedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone!
    Bought my first Prius yesterday, a T4 (UK spec) with the higher resolution screen but no nav (I know it's the high res screen as it has the newer looking icons)
    I wanted to see if I could install the standard oem camera to my car seeing as it has the required screen.

I've pulled the black plastic trim off the boot/trunk lid and don't know where to look for the spare connector, should it be easy to spot?
    Or would it be hidden between the two metal skins?
    Alternatively, do I need to remove the plastic part in the outside of the boot/trunk that holds the camera and unlock button to look for the wiring harness?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

maybe report your post and ask that it be moved to audio and electronics.

all the best!(y)

3. DangNabbit

DangNabbit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I’ve been trying to get this work with my USA spec base level Prius.

Other members have said you need to have the high res screen MFD.

In the back hatch, you’ll need to remover the horizontal black trim cover that is directly above the glass. This is the trim cover that is close to the 2 black rubber bellows ( where the wires feed into the trunk hatch.)

The backup camera wiring is the gray, red white, black wiring. It’ll be coming out of the headliner area. Thick looking connector.

You can probably tap into them with your own wires or run your OEM wire harness to it.

There is no connector that feeds down to your plate area. You have to buy that pigtail connector separately.

I don’t have pictures. I’ll see if I can get them later.

Coedy and SFO like this.
  4. DangNabbit

DangNabbit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    To add to this....

Somewhere I was reading here that all you’ll need is to run a wire from the reverse signal relay somewhere underneath the dash to the MFD. This will let the mfd know to turn on the camera.

#4 DangNabbit, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Coedy likes this.
  5. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the MFD may already be getting the reverse signal--if you put it in test mode, it shows the state of the reverse signal.

<Copied from another post>
    MFD.jpg

• Put the transmission in Park.
    • Engage the parking brake
    • Push in the power button. (if not already on)
    • Push Display button. top button to left of screen - ("DISPLAY" will now appear in the upper left corner of your screen.)
    • Push on the upper left corner on the display just inside the box (where the *1" is in the picture), withdraw, then push on the lower left corner of the display (where the "2" is in the picture).
      Do this three times. Keep trying till the screen changes. If the word "Display" in the upper left hand corner of the screen goes away hit the display switch again.
    • Push on Menu in upper right of display screen.
    • Push on Display Check
    • Push on Vehicle Signal Check
    MFD - menu test.jpg

#5 ITBland, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Coedy likes this.
  6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might want to read thru this thread. If the reverse signal is not there, here is a site (in German) with the wiring that would need to be done.
    Looks like it is possible that the wires in the back are at the top-inside of the hatch, the missing piece may be found at a breaker's yard or eBay?

Coedy likes this.
  7. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This might be the part:
    Toyota Part No.: 82185-47110
    WIRE, BACK DOOR

Part Description Wire, Back Door, NO.2
    BACK GUIDE MONITOR-WITH

Coedy likes this.
  8. Coedy

Coedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahhh, that's great. I was looking in the wrong place then!
    I'll take another look later after removing the top hatch trim, do you just pull this out straight like the bottom one?
    Also thanks for the wiring part number, that's what I thought I was looking for in the car!

9. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is someone on eBay here in the US with that part number (can't confirm if it is correct) and it looks like most of the loom around the entire rear hatch, not just the wire to the camera (and I can't see enough in the picture to check the connectors).

10. Coedy

Coedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that is a huge loom... I'm currently emailing people breaking TSpirit models on eBay UK asking for quotes for rear hatch writing harnesses with reverse cameras.
    I imagine that would be fine then wouldn't it? I will just need to swap my loom to the new one along with the camera yes?

11. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Coedy, I would not be so quick to buy a rear hatch wiring loom. On several of the other rear camera threads here, every time someone from the EU chimes in, they don't have the same wiring that we have in the US cars.
    In order for you to add the OEM (or any) rear camera you need:

1. The hi-res MFD - Use the display button to see if you have the newer icons. See this post.
    2. The additional plugs in the back of the MFD with the video signal. See this post.
    3. The Reverse signal (In the US this comes from a large connector at the passenger door post, I have seen a post that says in the UK models it is next to what we call the "glove box") To Check.
    4. The camera wires from the MFD to the antenna connector in the roof.
    5. The camera wires in the hinge of the rear hatch. See this post.
    6. The camera wires in the rear hatch loom (or a jumper from the hinge loom down to the camera.) See this post.
    7. The OEM Toyota camera (you can substitute a generic camera, but wires will need to be spliced.)

In the US, 2006-2009 cars that have #1 (Hi-res MFD) appear to also have #2-#5 (probably to allow dealers to install a camera kit for an extra charge--I see these kits on eBay and Amazon for 2010-2015 Gen 3s.) (Edit: It seems not all US 2006-2007 cars have the wiring either.)
    If the wires are missing and the MFD is capable of video, you could run a shielded cable from the hatch to the front of the car, get the missing connector from a salvage yard, and wire it in yourself.

#11 ITBland, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Keith Cody, Coedy and DangNabbit like this.
  12. Coedy

Coedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh dear, that's a lot of faff...
    I thought because I had the new icons I could just plug in the camera and maybe have to connect a live feed it something...
    Looks like I'll not be doing this then. I'mI just fit some reverse sensors instead, I didn't really want to cut my bumper but it will be a lot easier than getting at all of those different bits of wiring

In the plus side though, your post is the clearest one I've found on what's required to install an OEM camera, so thanks a lot for putting in the time to write it up!

13. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    #13 ITBland, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  15. DangNabbit

DangNabbit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    This is the wire loom I bought from eBay. This came from a 2008 according to the listing and has the wire connectors for the OEM camera. See the thread ItBland linked to for more pics.

Backup camera Gen 2 | PriusChat

@ITBland has been helping with the Diagrams and schematics for the camera and mfd. If everything works. I’ll compile a how to for everyone. This should work for the 2006-2009 Prius gen 2.

upload_2018-6-27_12-28-52.jpeg