1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Gen 4 Cabin Air Filters available in 3 years?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by davide, Aug 19, 2017.

1. davide

davide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It would be nice to replace my 2012 Prius C with a brand new 2017 "Liftback" Prius, but that's not realistic right now. Let's say I buy a used 2017 model in 3 years. I've learned that Cabin Air Filters for Gen 4 models (2016-2017) are available only from dealers currently---at high prices.
    What do you think, folks: Are Gen 4 cabin air filters likely to be available in the aftermarket---I'm impressed with the Bosch brand---3 years from now? :rolleyes:

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Perhaps you were given an installed price. The original cabin air filter for a 2016–2017 Prius or Prius Prime, Toyota part number 87139-28020, has a list price of $20.99 and is sold by several U.S. dealers for $15 or so.
    They are available now in Japan from three different suppliers, as I mentioned in a previous thread. As for Bosch, I’ll say only that we’ve amicably resolved our differences, and while I suppose I might buy a copy of their Automotive Handbook or other technical books, I’m unlikely to purchase any of their products for my car.

It’s windshields that should interest you, by the way, if you’re concerned about service parts availability.

RCO and SFO like this.
  3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, dealers will charge you $75 or so to do 2 minutes worth of work involving the cabin air filter. Learn to do it yourself and save some money.

RCO and SFO like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you really making your car buying decisions based on availability of aftermarket cabin filters?:p

krmcg, RCO, kithmo and 4 others like this.
  5. davide

davide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good point, Bisco! I just want to have alternatives when it comes to parts.
    Without opening a new thread, let me ask this:
    How easy/difficult is installing (DIY) a new Cabin Air Filter in a Gen 4 Prius? (I ask because I just went through installing a Bosch filter in my Prius C....Even though there was a helpful YouTube video, I had to ask my car-savvy neighbor to do it for me....He's younger & stronger, and even though he had a little "crowbar" to use on the glove box's left side, even HE really struggled before finally disconnecting the glove box!

bisco likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wait a sec, you're supposed to change that filter? I've taken ours out and knocked the junk off it a couple times now.

kithmo, SFO and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're going to all the labor to get to it...:cool: but as far as gen 4, i hope it's easier, i hare doing mine. feel like everything is going to break.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. davide

davide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel, you gotta realize: We don't live in pristine B.C. Real soot---what Al Gore calls "black carbon"---comes out of bus tailpipes down here! My car's maintenance guidebook recommends that we "replace cabin air filter" at 30k or 36 months. Though I've got "just" between 36k & 37k miles, it's been almost exactly 5 years since I drove my beloved Prius C home from the dealer.
    I just checked my trash basket. Assuming the filter's pleats were white originally....it's all very dark grey now, with some little leaves stuck in there. IMHO, it was time to protect this baby-boomer's "precious bodily fluids" (in my lungs) with a really good filter!
    Maybe it's too early to get responses from owners of Gen 4 cars as to whether it's any easier to disconnect the glove box.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Precious bodily fluids...: watched that one the other night. :)

Hey where's Major Caan??!

SFO likes this.
  10. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Start at $3 on RockAuto...

RCO and SFO like this.
  11. davide

davide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel, I have a serious question: I saw your post from last January saying "Every year or two I take (the cabin air filter) out and blow some compressed air through it." I live in an apt. Where do you go to get compressed air? A friend who works at Canadian Tire?

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wet/dry vacuum on blow. A proper compressor would be nice though.

SFO likes this.
  13. davide

davide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Elekro: I wasn't aware that Bosch was involved in that despicable Volkswagen scandal. I pursued that link you provided and read through some of the legalese, but couldn't find a description of exactly what Bosch allegedly did. Did they provide the "defeat device software" to Volkswagen?

SFO likes this.
  14. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Not too early at all—I had no trouble doing it, using the procedure in the Repair Manual.
    That’s what the plaintiffs claimed. From the court’s May 17, 2017 order (PDF) approving the class action settlement:

“As alleged, Bosch worked closely with Volkswagen to develop and supply the defeat device for use in Volkswagen’s vehicles. Despite having knowledge of Volkswagen’s illicit use of the defeat device, Bosch continued to work with Volkswagen and even concealed the defeat device in communications with U.S. regulators when concerns were raised about the emission control systems in certain Volkswagen vehicles. While Volkswagen has publicly admitted wrongdoing, Bosch continues to deny wrongdoing.”​

Without admitting liability, Bosch paid $327.5 million (plus certain administrative expenses) to settle the matter.

RCO likes this.
  15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: car-savvy and can't even do a 10 second job like take out the glove box without a struggle and a crow-bar ! :eek:
    I wouldn't let him do any work on my car. :cautious:

RCO likes this.
  16. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know there has been much dislike expressed for K&N, but they do make cabin and engine air filters for the 2016 Prius and on.

RCO likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep in mind, a cabin filter impregnated with charcoal is grey from the factory.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.