1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aux not working - all troubleshooting exhausted

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by s2p2e, Jul 30, 2021.

1. s2p2e

s2p2e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey everyone!

So, the aux/CD button no longer switches to the aux input when pressed. So far, I have:

1. verified the 3.5mm audio cable is non-defective and fully seated in the connector with loud music playing
    2. soldered the points together as shown in this post Aux Jack repair | PriusChat
    3. removed the aux module from my car and installed it in another vehicle. It works perfectly in that vehicle.
    4. Installed the working aux module from that other car in my car. In my car, as expected, the other car's module did not work.
    5. Checked for any shorts in any wires along the chain from the aux module to where it feeds into the head unit
    6. Unplugged the aux battery and waited 10 minutes before reconnecting
    7. Checked for Audio codes in service mode (no codes found, pressed and held "clear codes" for 3 seconds regardless)

This all began after I spliced into two gray wires in the connector at the back of the center console (these original wires were not cut through at any point - I divided the strands of the original wire in half, fed the strands of the new wire though the middle, and then intertwined them all, so as to not sever the original wire). I used this added wire as a 12V trigger to power on an added subwoofer - it worked perfectly for this. However, despite the original connection pathway being maintained, something is preventing the car from switching to aux mode. I then removed the cable that was spliced in, returning the gray cables to their original, uninterrupted state, re-coated them with electrical tape, and repeated the troubleshooting steps above. Still no dice. Does anyone have any other ideas of what to try here? Pulling my hair out a little bit.

Thanks so much for your time!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has to be a discontinuity (i. e. a break somewhere) in the signal wire. The signal wire is the one connected to the switch you bridged out (in your no. 2 above). I'd double-check the signal wire from the center console back to the head unit. As you've proved the switch is not the problem, you might want to undo that bridging so you can have the auto-select feature again.

That's all I have.

s2p2e likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There may also be a detection circuit involved, changing the resistance across a pair of pins at the head unit based on whether something is plugged into the aux jack or not.

You may be able to distinguish between a break in a signal wire (head unit allows selecting aux, but you don't hear anything) and a problem with the detection circuit (head unit does not act like aux is available to select), and that might help narrow things down.

s2p2e likes this.
  4. s2p2e

s2p2e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you both for the input! @dolj It does seem that discontinuity is the likely culprit, but no section I've interacted with at any point has an interruption I can find. I'll use a voltmeter later today to verify continuity from the input to the head unit, though, so that hopefully that can be ruled out or pursued further.

@ChapmanF The head unit doesn't allow selection of the aux input at all, unfortunately, either through the CD/AUX button or the Mode button on the steering wheel.If there's an issue with the detection circuit within the head unit, do you have an idea of how that might be corrected?

5. s2p2e

s2p2e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: I have used a multi-meter to verify continuity of all wires of the aux module connector (green/red/gray/white), from the connector that attaches directly to the aux module to the connector that enters the back of the head unit. The pathway is not disrupted, so it must be that a detection circuit within the head unit is malfunctioning. Anyone have an idea of where to go from here? I'd really hate to replace the head unit over this. @ChapmanF

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I don't think I'd start by looking within the head unit; I'd probably start with the wiring diagram and making sure I understood the way the detection circuit outside the head unit is built. Then test that in isolation ... then look at where it goes within the head unit, if the evidence forces me there.

7. s2p2e

s2p2e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I suppose I'm just a little confused - my understanding was that the detection circuit was within the aux module itself, which is what the aux jack repair linked in #2 of the first post is supposed to correct. Is there another detection circuit? About to hunt through a wiring diagram to see if I can find any answers

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That link does have some photos of the aux jack module and some good general guesses about how the detection works. It is a little short on detail; if it were mine I would look closely at the module and jack and kind of reverse-engineer it to determine what resistance it is supposed to show to the head unit when nothing is plugged in, and when something is plugged in.

In Gen 3, it's been reported that some head units recognize more than one kind of aux input, depending on what resistance is presented on the detection circuit, so it isn't just a matter of closing or opening a contact. I don't know whether any such thing is true of Gen 2. It is possible the published wiring diagram won't show that level of detail inside the aux jack module, so some hands-on examination could be needed.

9. s2p2e

s2p2e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You make some good points and I really do appreciate the input. The only thing is that I'm fairly certain an issue within the aux module itself has been ruled out already, given that:

1. another aux module, known to be working, does not work in my car
    2. my aux module works perfectly (including auto detection/turn on) in the other vehicle

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what other inputs there could be in a Gen 2, there is no USB (if that's what you were thinking), so as far as I know it just detects the presence or absence of a 3.5 mm jack in the aux input socket.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had never known about the Gen 3 composite video input either until I stumbled on the thread.

So I can't draw too much from the fact that I don't know about it in Gen 2 either. :)

When I was playing with a Gen 3 aux-in module, it appeared to present a resistance of 15172 Ω with nothing plugged in, 2712 Ω with a source plugged in. The head unit would recognize that as an aux audio source.

From the thread on the video input, I gathered that 0 Ω (direct connection) is how the video input module indicates that it has a connected source.

I brought that up mainly because if the Gen 2 conventions are anything similar, but there are instructions floating around to 'fix' the aux presence indicator by soldering to make a 0 Ω connection, it's possible that won't do what's expected.

#11 ChapmanF, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  12. Teed

Teed New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any more information or solution to this problem? I am having the same issue: can't get AUX to be recognized even though a verified bluetooth device is plugged into the back of the stereo.

13. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base