1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Windshield crack

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by devden, Jun 19, 2017.

1. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hey devden, did your insurance pay for the calibration? $500 actually sounds more reasonable, but for that or $900 you would think the Toyota dealers would be doing backflips to assist their costomers.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  2. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    They can all quote different service codes and charge differently. In my case, when the windshield cracked I did get a quote from Palo Alto which listed calibration for $320 along with $1000 for windshield replacement. But since I only went for calibration the price changed to $480. I did not negotiate or pulled up the old quote as I knew insurance would be paying for it. Also, I have a Premium trim if that helps.

Still waiting on insurance to approve my claim though.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! My less than two weeks old PRIME PREMIUM got windshield crack:cry:
    On my second trip on interstate, when I stopped at store, I noticed those cracks, which looks like two small cracks. I did not notice anything hitting the windshield while driving, but it is behind rear view mirror unit where I could not see from my driving position, and I did have music on so I may have missed sound of something hitting. It probably was flying stones or something.

I stopped at the dealer on my way home, and explained what happened. They checked with a glass repair shop they subcontract the installation of glasses, but I was told there is nationwide back order of PRIME windshield. I am on the waiting list for 176th place NOW. Soooo SAD.
    IMG_20170810_114227.jpg IMG_20170810_114253.jpg

#43 Salamander_King, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will you show me where would I find that information? I am going to contact Toyota HQ, and would like to site the data.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tucatz likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The strange thing is my Trim Two windshield appears to be fine. I wonder if the issue is related to the heat reducing glass on the higher trims.

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may also want to PM @Prius Team in PriusChat. They are the Toyota US marketing team for these vehicles.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked NHTSA complaint on 2016-17 Prius HB and 2017 Prius prime, while it seems nonproportional complaints about windshield crack on those models, the total number doesn't seems to be that large. I wonder what is the threshold number NHTSA will take some action.

#49 Salamander_King, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  10. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Prius Team user didn't make a new post in years, I doubt they are active and/or read this forum anymore...

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I am taking all the way up to the top at Plano, TX.

tucatz likes this.
  12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It’s NHTSA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and it may be less about the number of reports than the nature of the incidents and whether they indicate a problem that falls within the agency’s statutory responsibilities. Remember that NHTSA is not an all-purpose regulator of vehicle quality; their mandate is to make and enforce safety standards. They will be most interested in reported failures that are likely to have been caused by safety-related defects in design or manufacture—for example, windshields that fail to protect vehicle occupants in debris strikes that would not ordinarily have been expected to result in injuries.

If the windshields are just being damaged beyond repair, but no one is getting hurt, and the windshields comply with the applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (like No. 205 and No. 212), then as far as I know, NHTSA has no authority to intervene. Once the minimum safety standards are met, durability is up to the marketplace: if Toyota’s products are more vulnerable to expensive damage, they will presumably become less appealing to buyers, directly or because of higher insurance costs.

I suppose NHTSA might look into the parts availability problem if it’s causing people to drive with damaged, unsafe windshields because they can’t get new ones, but considering the lengthy delays allowed for Takata airbag replacements, I wouldn’t make any bets on seeing enforcement action on this, either.

pilotgrrl and Salamander_King like this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Your points are well taken. While I don't expect a quick action from any government agency, I think it is still worth an effort to bring about change in right direction. I corrected "NHTSA".

pilotgrrl likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They last posted March 27, 2017
    Am I under warranty? | PriusChat

15. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, got it, but still - they made a number of posts in Jan, Feb & March ... and since March, NOTHING... doesn't look good to me.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So sorry to hear about it and see those pics. I just hope it does not take 5 weeks that I had to endure.

You have approached the right channels though - NHTSA and Toyota National. Toyota promised me compensation but their Operations Manager Chris Adamo never calls back. They are trying to stay under the radar on this issue for sure as all reps act pretty clueless just like @Prius Team

Do find a good dealer in the meantime who could do the camera calibration because not everyone can do it accurately plus the pricing varies from $320 to $900. Let us know how it all goes!

pilotgrrl and Salamander_King like this.
  17. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Look at the OP photos of damaged windshield... very interesting and not like any cracked shield I've seen before. You can clearly see the plastic laminate deformed between the glass plates. Looks like a plastic grocery bag stretched almost to the breaking point. The photo from the inside looks like an insect nest. Strange. And not comforting. The OP said he didn't even hear the rock, or rocks, strike the windshield.

#57 tucatz, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Salamander_King and pilotgrrl like this.
  18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads up advise. I was told by the glass shop who supplies Prime windshield that it is AT LEAST 2-3 weeks wait before they receive the windshield in shop. I live in rural Maine and there is only one Toyota dealer within 50 miles, and next closest is 200 miles away. Sounded like they can do calibration, but I am not at that step yet, so I will find out when the parts comes in. For now I am keep driving the car with the crack on it. I hope it does not spread.

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to update on my cracked windshield case. With daily drive after the incident 5 days ago, so far the crack has not spread any bigger. The glass shop who received the work order has confirmed me that the PRIME windshield is on nationwide backorder, and they have no ETA at this time. They only said "at least a few weeks" waiting. I have contacted Toyota's National headquarter and was assigned to a case manager, but they are still "researching" the incidence. When I pointed out to Toyota customer care rep about NHTSA complaints on PRIME and 4th Gen Prius windshield crack being disproportionately large, rep told me Toyota has no documented case report of manufacturing defect on those windshield. Looks like, for now this waiting game continues. :(

pilotgrrl likes this.
  20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just received a call from glasshop. The windshield for my PRIME is in. :) I am taking my car to my dealer for replacement and camera calibration tomorrow. It has been exactly two weeks since the crack. I have zero deductible on my glass coverage, so I hope everything is taken care of after the replacement. The Toyota Headquarter's Toyota Care case manager wasn't very helpful, but maybe he did pull some strings for me to expedite the parts delivery. Who knows.

#60 Salamander_King, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    pilotgrrl and Mark57 like this.