1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Actuator not working ( Passenger side)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by James Hobbs, Nov 15, 2019.

1. James Hobbs

James Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 2004 Toyota Prius with just over 100,000 miles on it recently failed its November Inspection. They informed me that my HID HighBeam passenger light was out and with the light and labor it would cost around $450. This broke down to a $175 bulb and about 200 in labor ( they said they had to take the full bumper off)

I'm handy enough so I decided to do some research and replace the bulb myself. I bought an aftermarket HID D2R Phillips bulb and found a youtube video on replacing the light without removing the bumper. This all went fairly smoothly but when I was finished the high beam light was still not working on the passenger side.

I realized the HID bulb is a single light for the Prius that does both High and Low beams, so the issue was not the light. Upon further inspection I realized the Actuator on the drivers side was moving but the passenger side was not.

I read that this could be because the shade actuators could be jammed by the bulb by being fitted incorrectly. I also saw the HID lights are fused independently of each other so I checked the fuses marked HI left and HI right ( 10 & 15 A). After removing and fiddling with the light and checking the fuses the Actuator is still not moving on the passenger side.

I have not been able to find any other leads on what this issue could be online. The only other options I can think of is buying a full right headlight replacement off eBay. It could maybe be the Ballast as well?

Has anyone ever run into an Actuator issue like this?

Attached Files:

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    First, are high beams A REQUIRED feature ? I suspect NOT......and thus having no high beams should not cause an "inspection failure".

Then.....if the only difference between HI and LOW is the position of the shutter.......then the shutter has failed.
    Maybe a linkage broke or the actuator failed.

P.S. That shop doesn't know beans about your model car. You should NOT take it back there......for anything.

3. James Hobbs

James Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I live in Maine and yes high beams are a required feature to pass inspection. The shutter on the passenger light I think has failed since I confirmed its not the bulb alignment or fuses.

Everything looks like it is connected but something might have broken that I a missing. If it is the actuary is that a single piece or would I need to replace the whole headlight?

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen2 Prius HID are overpriced garbage... Endless problems... Next time one goes out, which will be soon, save your money and convert to standard Halogen bulbs that cost $12 each and don't need a ballast, and don't hurt my eyes and other night drivers with sensitive eyes: How to convert from hid to halogen | PriusChat

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Let me go a bit off topic first. Doubtful that the following is your problem, as you don't have a leveling error on the MFD. But given your physical location and winter roads, you might want to read up on and check the load leveling sensor (rear of the vehicle) before it fails. There are many posts if you search. Here is one with decent pictures to give you an idea of what, where and why : Headlight leveling sensor failure - detailed post with pictures | PriusChat

Just to be sure, double check the four (4) headlight fuses again : Which fuse is for HID? | PriusChat

Wonder if your problem might be related to the solenoid / mirror that is part of the headlight housing. Can you check for voltage?

Headlight replacement-what did I do? | PriusChat

Newly Installed HiD won’t Dim! | PriusChat

Replaced HID Ballast, now no high beam | PriusChat

PriusCamper likes this.