1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Voltage in Rear Power Outlet

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by PiPLosAngeles, Nov 27, 2018.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I'd be expecting collateral damage. LOL!

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes lead acid batteries “violently decompose” when shorted across the terminals. You do not want to be there when it happens. They make the Samsung phones look like a lit match.

3. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I do a lot of work on CRT's (I collect and restore old 80's era arcade games). When you do that, however you have to worry about the tube itself retaining some high voltage charge (19K is usually at the lowest), even if the monitor has been off for a while (days) they still maintain more than enough charge to shock the crap out of you. (it's not so much that the current's going to kill you, but arm instantly contracting at full force and smacking into the side of the arcade cabinet hurts like a mofo).

To get around this I keep a screw driver handy with a 1 meg ohm resistor connected from it to an alligator clamp. I attach the clamp to frame ground, sneak the screwdriver under the 2nd anode and safely drain any latent charge to ground.

so the point of this is just use a resistor in series, don't use a wrench!

(as an aside, I've seen crt's hold charge for over a month. I had a robotron 2084 that needed a new flyback. I figured it was sitting there for long enough that it surely would have self-discharged by now. So I grabbed the 2nd anode and wham... boy that hurt!. So, I then figure, ok, SURELY it had to have been discharged now. grab it again... wham. F**K! ok... NOW it must be discharged. yup. you guessed it. on the 4th try I walked to my workroom (I was doing the fly replacement in place rather than dragging the cabinet into the workshop) and got the discharge tool). BTW, if you really want to see a tv explode (e.g. remove the metal retaining ring around the tube and hit it with a rifle shot), you need to make sure you charge up the tube nicely first! Remove the 2nd anode, let the electron gun load up the tube like crazy and then shoot it.

padroo and bisco like this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have experienced a lead acid battery explosion, sounds like a shot gun going off.

5. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
  6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whats going on with your battery voltage?

7. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Wish I knew. Clearly not good. Toyota refuses to replace, going so far as to intervene and cancel the dealership's order for a new battery after the dealer diagnosed it as bad. I have since filed for arbitration and my case was accepted.

8. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Running that diagnostic screen while driving enabled an insight into what's happening that I hadn't been able to "see" before. So, the hour drive to work in all EV it stayed rock steady at 14.2V. All 12V outlets worked without issue. On the drive home about a minute into the drive the voltage dropped from 14.0V to 12.6V and the low voltage alarm on my inverter was triggered (10.5V). Turning off the car restored 14V operation for 60 seconds, and then the voltage again returned to 12.6V and remained there for an hour.

Through much trial and error on the way home I discovered that every time the car turns on AND FOR EACH MODE, the voltage is 14V for the first 60 seconds and then drops to 12.6V. If I start the car in EV mode and go 60 seconds until the voltage drops to 12.6V, switching modes to HV will restore 14.0V for 60 seconds. After that the car has to be "rebooted" to get 14V again.

I believe this is related to the 12V battery's SOC. Since it was very low this morning, it's voltage wasn't high enough to trigger the DC-to-DC converter to drop output from 14V to 12.6V. After being charged up on the morning drive, the car resumed "normal" operation. I don't know if the DC-to-DC converter is supposed to drop down to 12.6V output, and what is supposed to trigger that if so. If it is, there is no hope to fix the outlets other than to rewire them so that there isn't a 2V loss. If it's not supposed to, then I'll investigate the battery or charging system.

9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t know, either, but I also can’t find anything in Toyota’s published information that says 12.6 volts is unacceptable. New Car Features (more info) says the “Rated Output Voltage” of the DC-DC converter is 11.0 to 15.0 volts, but it describes the charging control strategy for the auxiliary battery only in general terms, without enough information to determine what the voltage should be under specific conditions.

If the auxiliary battery has failed a test with a Toyota-approved diagnostic charger (such as the Midtronics GR8, mentioned in a previous thread, where I also described Toyota’s warranty policy for batteries), and the car is in warranty, the battery should be replaced. It’s disappointing to read otherwise (post #75); nothing in the warranty terms says a vehicle has to be disabled before Toyota is required to correct defects, especially if the part has been found to be defective according to Toyota’s own standard test method.

If the battery passes the test, or if the trouble continues after it’s replaced, I’d suggest returning to the diagnostic steps I outlined in post #18. The car should at least be able to pass the on-vehicle inspection for the charging system, done step-by-step, exactly as stated in the Repair Manual.

@ChapmanF's suggestion in post #66 to investigate the power outlet wiring is also a good one; a voltage drop check is easy enough to do. Toyota dealers are also required to have a milliohmmeter, as an essential tool (11413-00005, a Hioki RM3548), though yours may not have anyone who knows how to use it.
    You may find it helpful to know that the sales brochure (PDF) says the car has “One front and one rear 12V auxiliary power outlets,” and the Owner’s Manual (PDF) says of the outlets, on page 532, “Please use as a power supply for electronic goods that use less than 12 V DC/10 A (power consumption of 120 W).” The brochure and manual have many disclaimers, but they might still help establish your reasonable expectation that the car’s electrical system would be able to provide that voltage and current at the outlets.

SteveMucc likes this.
  10. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you. I suspect that will be Toyota's position: that as long as it's producing 11v or more, that it's functioning correctly. That makes an interesting situation because with the resistance present in the 12v outlet circuits, it's impossible to ever reach the advertised 120W without popping the fuse. At 14A, the circuit will be around 7.5v, which is only 105W, and since we really shouldn't have continuous current over 80% of the fused capacity we're really limited to 12A. At 12A the circuit will be around 8.1v, or 97W - nearly 20% lower than advertised. That's assuming 12v devices can function at those voltages.

I will attempt to have a third dealership examine the situation and check the charging system function. In the event that they can't/won't fix the issue I will explore the expense of hard wiring the inverter myself, or rewiring the 12v outlets with a more appropriate gauge (like 16 AWG).

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if the voltage drop you're seeing at the outlets is all due to wire gauge (requiring a total rewire of the circuit), or could be traceable to a dodgy connection somewhere?

12. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That thought crossed my mind, too—but I’m not sure what single faulty connection, other than the + or – terminals of the auxiliary battery, or perhaps at the battery state sensor assembly, could account for low voltage at both power outlets and at the radio head unit.

The Electrical Wiring Diagram shows that the No. 1 (front) and No. 2 (rear) power outlets have separate supply connections. No. 1 is fed from the P/OUTLET NO.1 fuse in the Instrument Panel Junction Block Assembly, and No. 2 is fed, via a relay, from the P/OUTLET NO.2 fuse in Unit B of Engine Room Junction Block No. 1. The first point in common is inside the fusible link block assembly at the positive terminal of the battery. Both paths go through connector 3A, but they are on separate wires and terminals.

Both outlets are wired to ground point ID behind the right side of the instrument panel. A bad connection there wouldn’t explain low voltage at the head unit, though, since it’s connected instead to ground point IB, under the center of the instrument panel.

13. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Last night there was a break in the rain long enough to measure the voltage at the fuse while the rear outlet was under load and the car in READY. 12.45v on the near side of the fuse and 12.43v at the far side of the fuse on the Fluke 88V while the battery itself reads 12.48v. That was interesting to me because there has to be at least a foot of wire between the battery and the fuse box, but the voltage drop was only 0.05v, including the fuse itself. If I generously estimate 19 more feet of wire from the fuse to ground in that circuit, the voltage drop should be somewhere close to 0.8v, yet we see a 2v drop at the outlet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that has me suspicious that the wire itself isn't the problem.

When the weather clears I'm going to test the resistance between the fuse box and the outlet and the 12v connectors and cords I've been using (3 separate ones).

EDIT - Does anyone know how to remove the 12V outlets to inspect the wiring and connections? I would like to test the resistance of the outlet's connections, too.

#113 PiPLosAngeles, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was just going to ask whether your dropped measurements are at the power jacks where the Toyota wire reaches them, or on your side of your plugged-in accessory plugs. Your question may have just answered my question. :)

Those accessory cig lighter plugs are not always, hmm, instrument quality....

Much of the interior trim in a Prius comes off just by pulling on it, but a quick look in the repair manual can boost your confidence that you know the right places to pull.

15. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    A bad ground should be easy to test. Next time I'm testing I'll check the voltage between the positive and a reference ground rather than the negative lead. If that voltage looks good, then I've isolated the problem to somewhere between the outlet and ground.

16. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I agree that Toyota is unlikely to have used undersized wires: since the power outlet fuses are rated at 15 amperes, I’d expect the design engineer to have selected a wire that could safely carry at least that much current, at the highest ambient temperature expected inside the car.

In making your estimate, did you consider the wire sizes? The wires between the battery (fusible link block assembly) and junction blocks are of much larger sizes than the wires from the junction block to the power outlets, or from the power outlets to the ground point. The resistance of these larger wires, per unit length, is lower, since DC resistance varies inversely with the cross-sectional area of the conductor, approximated by R = ρ ℓ  ∕ A, in which ρ is the volume resistivity, 1.7241×10⁻⁸ Ω·m for annealed copper at 20 °C.

For an example of this in practice, see the Sumitomo Wiring Systems catalog page for AVS wire, which tabulates the resistance, in milliohms per meter, for various nominal wire sizes, given in mm². Toyota may have used another style of wire, but the table shows how the principle applies.

That said, 0.8 V may not be too far off: if the balance of the circuit uses 1.25 mm² wire, for example, the voltage drop for a 10 ampere load could be something like: 20 feet × 14.3 mΩ/m × 10 A ≈ 0.87 V.
    As @ChapmanF kindly suggests, the Repair Manual is the best source. If you have a Los Angeles Public Library card, the Chilton Library service, under 2016 Toyota Prius > Repair > Body Interior > Interior Panels / Trim > Rear Console Box, gives installation and removal procedures identical to those in the Repair Manual for the Prius Prime. Pages 6 and 7 of the Accessory Installation Manual for the wireless hotspot sold for the Prius PHV in Europe also show how the center console comes apart.

If you’re not familiar with the connectors, see the Electronic Circuit Inspection Procedure in the Repair Manual, or the older Wire Harness Repair Manual (PDF). One important point: don’t deform the terminals by inserting multimeter probes into the front of a disconnected connector. Instead, probe carefully from the back (wire) side with pins, Toyota 09082-1C141, Kaise 792, Fluke TP40, or similar.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Backprobes also let you make the measurement without the connector disconnected, so you can measure while your load is applied.

18. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thought you guys might get a kick out of this video I just made.

19. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    hey, quick though... have you tried making a quick harness that parallels both the console 12V and the rear (bottom in back, middle) 12V outlet? that is, hook BOTH of them up in parallel to see if that will overcome the voltage drop you're seeing? Not a perfect solution by far but it may allow your inverter to run until Toyota get's their act into gear.

PiPLosAngeles likes this.
  20. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It's a good idea. I haven't tried that. I was getting ready to disconnect the negative wire from the inverter and just run a wire from the negative terminal on the inverter to a seat bolt nearby. That would eliminate half of the circuit length and cut the voltage drop in half.

The real fix is to hardwire the inverter. I was thinking of using a fuse tap and some 16 gauge wire.