1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Stays Modest about EVs as It Relaunches bZ4X after Recall

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Had the timing off on the news of Toyota's overhaul of EV plans. The leak was back in October, with a more official announcement in December.
    Toyota changing strategy? | PriusChat
    Toyota scambling to change EV plan | PriusChat

o_O

drash likes this.
  2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m leaning towards a Troll bot.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Figures, it's in the name after all.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I mean @Trollbait
    They seem to often miss context. Many responses completely miss, or ignore the point.
    I’ve also noticed venomous insults, followed a day later by a “like” of the same post.

I believe vvillovv is simply an AI bot here to insult people and lower the value of the forum.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No alarm. That's a normal expectation from anyone who has worked on the same developments project for over a decade. Part of the natural life-cycle is to reach a point where refactor isn't enough and you must make a decision to rewrite. To put that succinctly, you hit a point of diminishing returns. Replacement becomes the better option.

Finding the right timing is key. This is why "know your audience" was absolutely vital. Consumers, Dealers, Suppliers, Environmentalists, Politicians... and of course, mother nature... all contributed the decision making process.

In this case, we see Toyota extremely well prepared for fallout, with next-gen Prius Prime leading the way... well aware that other automakers are just jumping out of the airplane hoping for something spectacular instead. Think about what those alarms will sound like as they see the ground approaching. So what if PHEV serve as a parachute. You'll still reach BEV, but in a far more controlled manner.

Technology advances in unpredictable manners. Just because Ultium & 4680 seem to be well thought out doesn't mean that's either will support high-volume sales. Weaker alternatives sometimes exhibit a trait which swings the market in a different direction. LFP chemistry in old-school prismatic packaging could be that contender. In all depends what various market influences emerge as most important.

#46 john1701a, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Describes your behavioral problem. The oldest trolling trick on the book.
    I challenge you and bate (he knows who I'm referring to and apparently so do you) even if you want to play this game of who are the inhuman trolls here with the agenda, to ignore all my posts, if you can !

8. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hrm... GM is a mess and VW is feeling the burden? Well... sales data shows that:

[​IMG]

GM and VW seem to be up near the top in EV volume. Hrm... Toyota is... not in the top 10. Or top 20? Well, at least Toyota is ahead of Tata, right? And definitely ahead of Sokon. Although.. Sokon is up 218% and Toyota is down 12%. They need to hurry up to keep ahead of Sokon.

Sure, it's a slow ramp up as they work out the bugs. I'm sure they don't want the wheels to fall off Ultium (OUCH!). But it's not like they have anything else to sell. Wait... they do? Bolts? Well heck, it's almost like they're phasing out the old and phasing in the new.

bisco likes this.
  9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it looks like it won't be for a few years.

Report: Toyota dedicated EV platform may be five years off

Toyota was targeting 85% of its US sales to still have tailpipes by 2030. Somebody forgot to tell California where EVs represented 16% of new car sales.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok you're mixing up Prius Connection Detroit (Gen 3 Prius) with the Gen 4 trim which had a different price structure (and the 2017 Prime).

For the Gen 3, PCS/DRCC/LKA was only available on the V/Five Trim level (Platinum for PCD pre-orders) so yes, that would've cost a lot more. Might I add, it was the only one in its class to even offer anything like that back in 2009 (Ford Fusion would've been the closest IIRC). So sure it's expensive but at least it was offered in the first place.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Recall they wanted hybrid options on all of their cars by 2020 in the US. It's 2023 and they're behind schedule. (Just waiting on their sports cars and the Tacoma)

hill and drash like this.
  12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Spot on. Too bad I couldn't multiply my likes. When they start making the same number of hybrids as gassers I'll believe their multi prong approach. Its like they don't believe in their hybrids either, because I see 10 times as many gassers as hybrids on every lot. I might even give them a slight pass because of the pandemic parts issues. Of course now they are digging in.

Toyota Calls On Science To Tell EV-Only Extremists That They’re Wrong

Tideland Prius likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually they were separate instances. There is a widespread technique in auto sales to limit a desirable feature to vastly more expensive trims loaded with cheap crap.

Bob Wilson